First generation Riviera convertible styling studies

Centurion

It's interesting that the proposed convertible roof design utilized a "scissors-top" concept, not unlike that which GM used on the full-sized convertibles during the 1971 - 1976 era.

Here's my question: I believe that I have read a magazine article from the past that included styling sketches or clay models of a first-generation Riviera 4-door convertible (convertible sedan or phaeton). The concept might have been developed as a possible response to the Lincoln Continental 4-door convertibles that were introduced with the 1961 re-design.

Does anyone else remember this article about a proposed Riviera 4-door convertible? I've been challenged to locate photos of this design concept. If anyone can identify the magazine and issue that included these photos, will you please let me know? Better still, if you have the article, is it possible for you to scan and e-mail it to me?

Thanks for your help.

In the March 1984 Issue of Car Exchange there is a picture of the car your referring to. The caption statses and I quote. "Wouldn't this have been wild? A four-door phaeton version of the Riviera was sketched up but never seriously considered for production."

In my opinion, it looks a lot more like an Electra convertible with the Riviera grill, tail lights, and bumpers. The sketch even includes fender skirts over the rear wheels, and big car styled wheel covers. One thing that would have been really neat is the flat window screen that separates the front and rear seats. The sketch uses the double tube type bumpers that were on the original "LaSalle" concept.

There is also a factory built '63 convertible prototype. The caption under is states "...but it was evidently decided that there wasn't enough market for a convertible."

Ed

Ed, thanks so much for your reply. I was a subscriber to "Car Exchange" way back then, so that explains where I had seen that image.

Any chance of obtaining a scan of the article, if you have it readily available? I appreciate your help.

Edit note: I see that the photo links to the factory-built 2-door convertible prototype I originally posted above are no longer working.

Thanks very much for posting the photos. The design looks terrific.

But, looking at the rear seat, it appears that it would barely hold grocery bags. And, being in an age of big, spacious cars, I think that may have been a serious competitive disadvantage. I remember six of us fitting in my fraternity brother's 1964 Plymouth convertible. (of course, 19-year-olds aren't very wide).

Thanks very much for posting the photos. The design looks terrific.

But, looking at the rear seat, it appears that it would barely hold grocery bags. And, being in an age of big, spacious cars, I think that may have been a serious competitive disadvantage. I remember six of us fitting in my fraternity brother's 1964 Plymouth convertible. (of course, 19-year-olds aren't very wide).

Backseat looks no smaller than the standard Riv. All 63-65 Riviera were 4 bucket cars.

Backseat looks no smaller than the standard Riv. All 63-65 Riviera were 4 bucket cars.

This was, of course, an advantage of the scissors-top convertible roof design -- it permitted use of a full-width rear seat. You'll see that the convertible roof of most 1960's-era convertibles intrudes on rear seat space.