Rebuilt Teves Master $ 525.00??

Rawja

Like some of you, I obsessively monitor eBay for parts for my cars. Came across what the seller claims are rebuilt masters for Sevilles and Eldorados (same unit as the Reatta's) for 449.95 + $75.70 for shipping and handling.

I don't know anything about the vendor in question, but this seems like a good price if the unit is indeed remanufactured, no?

Cadillac King items - Get great deals on Original Vintage Classic Cadillac items on eBay Stores!

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

Expect to see more like this, it has now been 20 years since GM last used the Teves and that is when oddball parts usually start drying up.

Have seen it before, first in 1970-75 when you could buy a complete Rochester FI for a Corvette (including distributer and manifold) for $100 (or $50 and a Holley). Was very deep into them at the time & had several including a '65 large plenium on a Camaro and another hogged out to 900 cfm on my B/P 'vette, both with "Delcotronic" ignition. What do they go for today ?

Can say a plenium makes a poor snow shovel but are not bad as speaker stands.

Guest Kingsley

This relates to a minor piece of the whole picture, but my experience with S & H of Teves units is that it is a bit of a toughfie - a bif difficult and expensive to package with the care it requires to carry in order to carry well. Makes me wonder a bit about even this second tier cost. Even insurance with not cover insufficiency of origin packaging.

Guest Kingsley

Addressing the crux of the issue - I have been to this yard in Pacoima, CA, and their pictures on the wall indicate what it might have been at one time. It is, indeed, a salvage yard. They are Cadillac knowledeable for sure but my gut instinct is that they are definitely not a rebuilder. I have heard Padgett say - use the 50/50, or 1 out of 2 might be good, theory. I have not seen the Ebay listing so far but this is something that should carry a warranty - with more warranty than is implied by some used part vendors which means only a replacement with another used part.

If warranted, I will visit the yard for anyone and see what the background really is.

Some time ago, there was an Illinois Ebay vendor offering to rebuild a Reatta Teves for, as I recall, about $150 covering parts and labor plus S&H. I have not seen any offering from him recently but perhaps someone tried him and could make a comment for the sake of comparison.

And the resovoir is different - Reatta's is lower.

Had that problem when I got a rebuilt from Prior Remanufacturing, had to notch the strut tower brace by like 1/4-1/2 an inch for it to clear.

Don't know precisely how this particular vendor defines rebuilt, just thought if the units were indeed rebuilt the price isn't bad.

The high S&H is eBay fee avoidance, see it all the time.

I got one .cheaper than buying a new bladder. Unit looked liked it was properly rebuilt. I'll dig abound for any locating info.
Could you explain what you mean by "cheaper than buying a new bladder"? What bladder are you referring to and what to they cost?

Guest Kingsley

I spoke with the manager of Cadillac King in Pacoima - the gentleman who advertised the Teves unit ex the Cadillac for the Reattas. Some questions had come up on the Forum on them with respect to precisely what he was selling.

As I had bought some Allante parts for replication, was familiar with them and was quoted the "refurbished" units out of Cadillacs at $750 and the used at $450.

They send the units out to several local rebuilders said to offer 6 months warrany - if problems arise they will be returned to that vendor for repair. Did not clarify who bears the expense of freight costs but can do so if there is any interest.

Just as info - their phone is (818) 890-0621, fax (818) 890-3117, email www.cadillacking.com, eldorado@gte.net. Contact is Gary. Mentioned they came out of the Eldorado.