Power seat conversion `63 -`64

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

I have a power seat from a `63 and am wanting to install in my `64. It is complete and overhauled . where is the connection to hook into the wiring harness? a picture would be a great help as I am electrically challenged.

Thanks,REX

Rex,

RivNut's answer is correct, but I think there are more variables to consider:

Are you adding a power seat to a car that came without one? or,

Are you replacing a power seat in a car that originally came with one?

Which interior does your 64 have--standard or custom; and which interior did 63 that donated the power seat have?

Let us know and we'll take it from there.

John

Rex,

It's really easy to tell if the seat came from a standard or custom interior. If it's from a standard interior, the switch is on the side of the seat rather than on the arm rest. Otherwise they're basically the same.

I would assume that you'd use the seat cushions and frames from your '64 and attach the power mechanism from the '63 to it. If you were lucky and got a '63 seat in the same color as the '64's interior. There will be a glaring difference in the patterns of the upholstery. The "biscuits" on the 63 extend all the way up to the top of the back. On the '64, there's a one piece horizontal piece that covers the face of the seat above the "biscuits." A quick look in Clark's Corvair online catalog will show you the difference.

Just do like I did. Get a pair of power buckets from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. They're 10 way power seats: Besides the up/down, back/forward like the OE Riviera seats, they have a power lean back on both driver's and passenger's seats, they have power lumbar support on both; they're both heated; head restraints; and the controls are on the side of the seat frame. Easy to wire using a 12V wire, circuit breaker, and a ground wire. The driver's seat also has a memory device in it but I didn't get the "puter" from the Jeep so I won't be wiring it in. (Chances are I won't be wiring up the heating element either.)

Ed

Guest REX STALLION

Okay, the seat is from a `63 with a custom interior. I also snagged the door panels and pretty much the whole interior. It will be going into my `64 so I will have a `64 with a custom interior and leather seats Any snags I should know about?

Mild custom. The seats for comfort, disk brakes - not because the al-fin brakes aren't good, they're just getting hard to find - a late model o/d transmission, some "kool" wheels and tires, satellite radio, a/c that's reliable and cost effecient, modern cruise control. etc.

Something I'll take out and drive and have fun with.

Ed

That's cool Ed. I really would like to see some newer seats in a Riviera. My seats are broken down and uncomfortable. But my head is about 1/2" from the headliner now. If I put new foam on the stock frame with new covers I know I'll be hitting the headliner.

I've seen a couple of 63/4/5 Riviera customs where the owner used seats from a Lexus. They fit close enough to the floor that you don't have that problem. I'm going to have to modify the mounts on the Jeep seats so they let me ride "lo n' kool" rignt now they're at their lowest and it sits me too high. I found this in Google images when I typed in Riviera Custom Interior. The article that goes with it says they come from a Saturn. You can always have your rear seats stitched to match.

Google Image Result for http://image.customrodder.com/f/8969520/0507cr_03z+1964_Buick_Riviera+Custom_Interior_Passenger_Side_Interior_View.jpg

This link shows a custom '65 with the Lexus seats.

http://streetrodder.automotive.com/109531/0906sr-1965-buick-riviera/index.html

Edited by RivNut
Add 2nd link (see edit history)

I have no idea, but open Google and click on the images link. Type Lexus seats in the search window and there's a ton of them to look at. I'm thinking that the guy who built this car removed the head restraints from whatever it was he found. I've seen nothing without some sort of head restraint.

Ed

I think those are SC300/400 Seats.

RivNut,

How are you handling backseat access with seats from a 4dr Jeep?

My plans include Mercedes W140 SEC (coupe) seats if I can find a set but those Lexus units look like an excellent fall back as would some Cadillac Eldorado seats with the headrests removed. I think the headrests interfere with the pillarless hardtop lines.

I guess the same way the guy with the seats from the four door Lexus handles it. If anyone besides my 45 lb. grandson ever rode back there, I guess I'd have to slide the seat forward far enough for ingress and egress. In the 38 years I've owned some kind of Riviera or another, I don't think I can recall anyone ever riding back there. But it is something to think about. ..... There, I've thought about it.:rolleyes:

Ed

Steve,

This picture is from the Cops for Kids website and shows the Riviera custom that was built by them. The article states that these seats were taken from a '99 Monte Carlo and when they were recovered, the head restraints were left off.

I have no idea about the power or other amenities like the Lexus seats would have, but they look pretty good in this Riv.

Jerry

Here's the link to the website. Lots of pictures of the complete build up. Nice car (other than the fact that it's running a bbc.) All of us who attended the '08 ROA meet in Galena, IL got a chance to see it. It looks as good in person as it does in the pictures.

Ed