Please help Identify this Chevy !

Guest Ravi Kapur

Guest Ravi Kapur

Hi All,

I am a 70 yrs old Vintage Car Enthusiast in Jaipur, INDIA and have just acquired a Chevy. I plan to restore this to its pristine glory. However since i am unable to trace its original papers , i am unable to decipher which model/ year this chevy is of.

Its a 4 door saloon , with 6 tyres ( 2 spare ones on sides) , 6 cylinder Engine having casted on it "GM" , in the next row " A 28 6" , then in next row "8360101 - 8" and also an engine no is engraved on it which reads as " MR 6017948" . The CHasis No. plate riveted under the hood reads "Body by Fisher" but has nothing engraved on this aluminium plate.(photos attached)

Request, if anybody can help me identify this vehicle. This initially thought it to be a Chevy Master deluxe 1936 model, However I am not very sure about.

Awaiting your replies !!

Ravi Kapur

Jaipur , INDIA

+91 93145 05337

post-69648-143138284012_thumb.jpg

post-69648-143138284014_thumb.jpg

post-69648-143138284017_thumb.jpg

post-69648-143138284019_thumb.jpg

post-69648-143138284021_thumb.jpg

post-69648-143138284024_thumb.jpg

post-69648-143138284026_thumb.jpg

I agree it's a 1936 West, as I use to own one, but it appears to be a Standard and not a Master Deluxe. Being a right hand drive export, I'm not sure what all changes they might have had. Simple way of telling which is which, should be the wheelbase. Master's were 113 inches and the Standard was 109 inches. Also, it appears to have painted headlamp buckets and lacks the stainless trim on the hood sides. That would be a Standard then. Another thing, don't recall seeing a four door sedan without the integral trunk before. Standard two door coach, but not a four door sedan. I could be wrong on this.

Does it say on the ID plate WHERE it was made? It could have been made in Canada as most GM exports to Commonwealth countries were.

It could also have been assembled in India from a CKD pack.

I have never seen a Chev of that year with dual side mounts. The lack of trunk compartment and the presence of a luggage rack are also unusual. Plus the right hand drive.

This combination of features make me suspect it was a special export model or locally assembled car.

Taking another look at the body plate I see none of the codes for style, body, trim or paint are filled in and a hand stamped GM in the paint area. This leads me to believe it is a locally assembled car.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

A good resource for information on the old Chevy's is the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. Their forum is:

VCCA Chat - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

I believe sidemount spares and the slant back were available in the U.S. but such a car would be exceptionally rare. I've never seen one.

Congratulations on your acquisition. It will make a very nice car.

Don

Guest 1hooligan

Ravi, great car, and as a starting position it appears to be in very good shape. Good luck, and if I can be of any assistance do not hesitate to ask. Pat OBrien

Guest 1hooligan

The Taxi might be an idea but I doubt it. I would guess an private car, or government special order. In 1936 in India, private auto were rare, large trucks were more common, with the double side mounts, and black I would guess some other than India government

ambasador or such.

Guest 36chev

I agree with Rick Hoover that is based on a Standard model. In addition to lacking the chrome/stainless trim, the bumpers are Standard series and it doesn't have a temperature gauge. Another quick way to tell is if the wheels are 5 lug it's a Standard. If 6 lug a Master. And the Master had knee action front suspension (although the special Master series without knee action could be purchased).

Guest cmp301

I actually recently found what appears to be a similar vehicle in the back of my property. All that's remaining is the body. The engine and parts are all gone, and what's left of the wheels are half buried in the mud.

Here is the identification plate. Here is a picture of the vehicle.

At first glance, I'm surprised the body is fairly intact, given it's age and being exposed to the elements all these years.

I would have to have to dig it out of the mud and load it up onto a tow vehicle. If all you have is the body shell, does anyone have an idea of what this would sell for? I have a few other vehicles like it, sitting in the mud on my property, probably of similar age. Just need to know if it is worth retrieving these vehicles and what is a fair price to sell something like this for.