'76 Olds Cruise Control Vacuum Servo Needed

carbdoc

I need a good (preferably new or rebuilt) cruise control vacuum servo for our 1976 Olds Cutlass Salon with 350 Olds (R-code) engine. It might also be helpful to know with which other GM cars this piece interchanges.

The rubber diaphragm is deteriorating and I can't imagine that any servo which has been around for 35 years old + or - would be in much better condition unless NOS. Does anyone rebuild these units?

Jeff Dreibus

Hi Jeff,

I got a new one for my 1970 Caddy at Autozone.

I was even able to order it at AutoZone.com | Get In The Zone! and to pick it up at my local store .Just click on the above link.

Very affordable, too !

Best regards,

Marty

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Marty,

Thanks for the tip. I tried the AutoZone link you provided -- they listed everything BUT the cruise servo. Rats!

You don't happen to know the AutoZone part number your Caddy used, do you? Perhaps I could use the part number to get a look at it and see whether it appeared sufficiently similar . . .

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry, but I will not be able to get to the Caddy for the next 3 weeks. I'll try to get the info for you, but you might try some of the guys on this site. Rockettrader (?) seems well-informed.

Jeff,

You might try FEN , or one of the other sites that serve the Cadillac community

There was a list in a recent Hemmings - very helpful

how about NAPA ?

also, try a posting on the BUICK POST WAR site (above)

wish I could be more helpful, but am on the road to Taos for the Chrome Glidden Tour

• 1 month later...
Guest Jim_Edwards

Just read this thread and maybe I can help you guys out a bit.

The part in question is also often called "Cruise Control Transducer." Any new ones for '70s era GM products would be NOS as no one has produced for the exact applications since sometime in the 1990s. There is at least one re-manufacturer of these parts and it is A-1 Cardone. Now the dicey part. There were two different designs used across GM's product lines. Within the same model year either may have been used on given vehicle makes and models. So before heading to a parts store or shopping on-line you need to know if your vehicle's Cruise Control Servo/transducer has two terminals or three terminals.

Both types were used between 1970 and 1980 on both gas powered cars and trucks.

Remans of both types are available on-line from rockauto.com for a little less than $90.00 exchange. You can buy outright, but will pay about $20.00 more for that priveledge.

The exchange route helps the next guy that might need one. If we don't exchange parts like this sooner or later there will be none to rebuild.

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)

Jim, I think they're talking about the vacuum diaphram that operates the throttle linkage. The 1976 Oldsmobile used the old style Dana governor transducer instead of the later AC vacuum transducer.

IMHO the Dana setup is far superior to the AC transducer. It just couldn't be adapted to resume features, which Ford had raised the bar with.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim, I think they're talking about the vacuum diaphram that operates the throttle linkage. The 1976 Oldsmobile used the old style Dana governor transducer instead of the later AC vacuum transducer.

IMHO the Dana setup is far superior to the AC transducer. It just couldn't be adapted to resume features, which Ford had raised the bar with.

I would agree the Dana setup was/is overall a better answer to cruise control. In all the years I've had vehicles with the resume feature I could probably count the times I've used that feature without having to resort to including my toes in the counting process.

For everyone's edification, Dana sold its cruise control group/division to Rostra in 1991. Whether they are manufacturing repair parts for the old Dana units I do not know. Their web site is at Rostra Precision Controls, Inc.

I will also point out that I'm not any sort or expert on Mid '70s Olds vehicles; if it ain't got a 317-394 in it I don't want it (grin). However, the below is application data for the AC type transducer.

2 Terminal Type:<table id="tbllib" class="order" style="display: block; border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/2 Terminals

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="25%">

1980-1978

</td><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="25%">

Oldsmobile

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">Gas w/2 Terminals

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="25%">

1977-1970

</td><td bgcolor="#ffffff" width="25%">

Oldsmobile

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/2 Terminals

1980-1980

Oldsmobile

Cutlass

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">w/2 Terminals Gas

1979-1979

Oldsmobile

Cutlass

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">Gas w/2 Terminals

1978-1970

Oldsmobile

Cutlass

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">w/2 Terminals

1980-1980

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/2 Terminals Gas

1979-1979

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">Gas w/2 Terminals

1978-1971

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/2 Terminals

1980-1978

Oldsmobile

Delta 88

All

1977-1970

Oldsmobile

Delta 88

All

1980-1974

Oldsmobile

Omega

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">w/2 Terminals

1980-1979

Oldsmobile

Toronado

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">Gas w/2 Terminals

1973-1970

Oldsmobile

Toronado

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Three Terminal Type:

<table id="tbllib" class="order" style="display: block; border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/3 Terminals

1980-1978

Oldsmobile

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">Gas w/3 Terminals

1977-1970

Oldsmobile

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/3 Terminals

1980-1980

Oldsmobile

Cutlass

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">w/3 Terminals Gas

1979-1979

Oldsmobile

Cutlass

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">Gas w/3 Terminals

1978-1970

Oldsmobile

Cutlass

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">w/3 Terminals

1980-1980

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/3 Terminals Gas

1979-1979

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">Gas w/3 Terminals

1978-1971

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">w/3 Terminals

1980-1978

Oldsmobile

Delta 88

All

1977-1970

Oldsmobile

Delta 88

All

1980-1974

Oldsmobile

Omega

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">w/3 Terminals

1980-1979

Oldsmobile

Toronado

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top" width="25%">Application Data:</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="75%">Gas w/3 Terminals

1973-1970

Oldsmobile

Toronado

All

</td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" valign="top" width="25%">

</td><td colspan="3" bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="75%">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

This may be to late to help, But I have found a way to replace the rubber diaphragm on the cruse servo on my customers 76 Tornado. If anyone is interested let me know.