1937 BREWSTER BUICK TOWN CAR HEART GRILL (ebay)

1939_Buick

On ebay (nothing to do with me). Interesting car

Buick : Roadmaster on eBay.ca (item 200494750727 end time 18-Jul-10 21:25:30 EDT)

You are bidding on a very rare one of a kind Brewster bodied town car with heart shaped grill, division window and jump seats. On a 1937 Buick Roadmaster 131" wheelbase chassis. Chassis serial number: 3040353. The engine is original straight eight [8] 130 hp. Engine serial number: 83203182. This Buick was bodied by Brewster in 1937. Brewster body number: 9020. See scan of copy of original Brewster job order.

Brewster built about 134 heart shaped grill town cars from 1934 to 1937. My research shows that this is the last car that Brewster built. Brewster went out of business in late 1937. The sales manager James Inskip purchased Brewster’s assets in late 1937. See scan of body tag on door sills "coachwork by J S Inskip" . This Brewster body is longer than most Brewster bodied cars, note the long cowl between the hood and the windshield

post-51977-143138253996_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick
image added (see edit history)

I'm not surprised by those bids. Even if the car is free it's not a financially prudent sort of undertaking. However, it is a very unique fully documented and original full Classic. There are many much less worthwhile projects that guys take on all the time.

Well, as always, unrestored cars are becoming a tougher sell. Years ago, one could have bought this car and had it on the road at a reasonable cost, when standards of restoration were not so high, and the EPA had not shut down so many small chrome shops.

Now, just for rough numbers, figure $5000 for engine rebuild, $15,000 in chrome, $10,000 upholstery, $10,000 in paint. So, buy for $13,000, now you're at $53,000 invested, and that doesn't count all the small stuff such as restoring instruments, wiring, etc. Nor does it count the labor hours which would be invested.

So, as I mentioned to a nice guy who was selling a car on this forum, one has to look at the purchase price of an unrestored car as just the "first installment" on a long series of payments. That applies to an unrestored car that isn't a survivor and useable as is, of course.

I do agree that less worthwhile projects have big bucks invested in them all the time.

Ah, back to the days of dust 'em off and paint 'em, low budget restoration, then drive the heck out of 'em.............

I think people have justifiably become terrified of projects. The costs are crazy.

Btw, my math was much worse then yours but I still think it's a worth while project. Completed to high standards it may be about a 100k car. I figured 8k or so just to re-fabricate the front fenders. That woodwork & upholstery will run at least 20k or more depending on who does it. That doesn't include re-fabricating the body wood that looks to need some help.

Yes, you're probably right that some of the costs would be higher, also of course it depends on who would restore the car. Some people can do woodwork, some bodywork, and so forth. I can do the upholstery, it's the bodywork/paint and chrome that scare me.....

• 11 months later...