Have at it...

Tom Laferriere

Model T ford drive trains are pretty darn tough. They even converted these things to farm tractors. I do not think that there would be a problem with the extra two cylinders as long as it was driven by a Gentlemen. The hard part here would be the crank and cam configuration to get it to run smooth. Dandy Dave!

Guest prs519

Dandy Dave, I think there were no gentlemen drivers west of the Mississippi at

that time. Not too many roads to justify such a creature, from the pics I have

seen of the early trails. All the same, the vanadium steel Tees held up, I think

largely because they were able to flex quite a bit. Keep smilin!

Thanks to my son Stirling, you have the two photos I took of David Dryden's restored 6 cylinder J at a show at Lardner Park near Warragul Vic a couple of years ago. The red car in the background is David's 1904 C Ford, and behind that, just in front of the seat you can glimpse his Quadricycle , which was one of three replicas built at Ford Geelong. This one came from the family of the former Ford Dealer in Auckland not long before the photos.

The C was sold to David from USA configured as a 1903 A, but the numbers showed otherwise; so he restored it correctly. I helped him by rebuilding original mechanical bits with Metco Spraysteel LS and grinding them, so fit is undoubtedly better than they were originally, and David says the steering and handling is beautiful. David made his own spiral crinckle wound tubes for the radiator, and it can idle for ages without overheating. (Part of the trick in working on these is that you have to use a significantly higher melting point solder to fix the fin on the tubes than you use to fix the tubes in the tanks.) With really good trembler coils in the box, I understand it starts first use of the handle, even on its first meet for 1 & 2 cylinder cars at Parkes in central New South Wales when the mornings were frosty. (During one stop on that event the organisers apparently wanted to shift it in David's absence. As they moved it forward by hand in gear it fired and started to drive off with no driver. ) The other Ford beside these in the display is the very early unrestored two pedal, two lever, waterpump engine T model which David bought at a recent Hershey auction. The car now has all authentic parts, but is conserved as the low use original car that it is. I have photos of all these from the same day if people want to see them; but they would rightly be in a separate thread in the general section. I have photos of other makes there also, including late model stuff such as a 1932 V16 Cadillac that came here new, but travelled extensively since the late 1960's until it eventually returned to Australia.

Dandy Dave, I think there were no gentlemen drivers west of the Mississippi at

that time. Not too many roads to justify such a creature, from the pics I have

seen of the early trails. All the same, the vanadium steel Tees held up, I think

largely because they were able to flex quite a bit. Keep smilin!

You is so right. Only raspy old characters could have survived 100 years ago in the lands west of the Mississippi. The T was true tested toughness, like the folks who drove them. :D Dandy Dave!