1936 Century for sale in FLINT MICH/ Any of you locals know about this one ?

Guest BJM

It is hard to tell for sure - is this a coupe?

I believe it is a coupe and I offewred on it but no response. Seller probably wants to sell locally and I don't really want to pay transport on another one BUT if it is a Century Coupe, 1936, even in rough shape, those are cool cars. Love the grille work more then the coupe body work. Therefore, I would be interested in just about any 36 Buick but because this is a Century it's a neat combination.

I know folklore has Buick naming the Century for the ability to reach 100 mpd but this was the age of the superliner trains and I suspect the tie-in was for the train aspect. A lot of brands either called their cars after trains or featured them heavily in advertising. Buicks "Limited" and Lincolns "Zephyr" come to mind.

I know folklore has Buick naming the Century for the ability to reach 100 mpd but this was the age of the superliner trains and I suspect the tie-in was for the train aspect. A lot of brands either called their cars after trains or featured them heavily in advertising. Buicks "Limited" and Lincolns "Zephyr" come to mind.

Not folklore Bryan, Buick advertising! ( see attached from 1936 sales pamphlet )

In articles I have read in car magazines as far back as 1978 various authors have claimed the 1936 Century was faster than all but the most exotic cars.

In 1936 2 models of Century coupe were available as follows

36-66SO Sport Coupe 3P with a production of 1,078

36-66SOX ( export, probably RHD ) 1

36-66SR Sport Coupe 2-4P Rumble seat 1,001

36-66SRX ( export, RHD? ) 17

The Century, starting with the 1936 model is accepted as one of the fastest and best handling cars in the American Industry - the original factory hot rod.

Writing in the BUICK MAGAZINE Harlow H. Curtice proclaimed it as " a car that meets what has been the secret wish of a vast body of motorists for a generation - a car of cyclonic performance, yet compact and thrifty and manageable as a small car."

Hardly small by today's standards at a 122" wheelbase but you get the idea.

The Century was given the 320 cube motor of the Roadmaster and put into a body only slightly larger than the Special ( which ran the 233 cube motor )

The car has a much heavier chassis, beefed up suspension, larger brakes and what is not commonly realised, a high speed differential.

In 1936 the axle ratios were

36-40 4.44

36-60 3.9 ( Century )

36-80 4.2

36-90 4.55

Tyre size was also different, the Century ran on 15" rims while all other series ran on 16". This was to give the car a lower profile.

The Century came standard with a single side-mount spare which this car has. Twin side-mounts were an optional extra.

Looking at the car it is very very restorable and would certainly be worth the effort and money.

So, a 1936 Century Coupe for US$800? An absolute bargain, I just wish it wasn't on the other side of the world!!

post-31244-143138229462_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138229465_thumb.jpg

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Stuart

Thanks for that excellent reply. WOW these are rare cars. Only about 2100 made between 2 sub types! Now 74 years old, I doubt there are more then 50 remaining.

I had mentioned to a Private Message that the fellow did finally get back to me, no indication he is a BCA member - and he said he has "several" folks coming by to see it on (our) Saturday June 12 and it's first come fist serve whoever has the cash.

It's complete except for the seat(s) and I think he did say seats?? But it's a coupe he said. I just have to wonder, is it a 60 series or not.

Certainly looks like a Century, I can just make out the end of the cylindrical air cleaner in the photo which shows part of the motor.

Seats are no worry, as the body is the same size basically as the special from the firewall back the seats out of a Buick Special will fit as will those from a Chevrolet, Oldsmobile or Pontiac 2 door car.

I see it even has a radio and heater, these items are red hot on ebay, the last radio I watched for a 36 went for around $450.00 and original heaters usually sell for $100 to $200. At $800 you just about get the rest of the car for free.

Let us know what the outcome is, if you don't get it maybe you could ask the seller to refer the new owner to this ( or the pre war ) forum.

I heard from the seller today. It is a 4 DR sedan with welled front fenders.

And we were all getting so excited!!

Still some good pickings at around that price if in need of parts. Production numbers for the 36-61 4 door sedan ran to 17,806 units with another 397 units of 36-61X export models.

Pete Phillips put some photos on the pre war forum about 12 months ago of a 36 Century sedan for sale in his neck of the woods. I seem to recall the asking for that was $2000.

I heard from the seller today. It is a 4 DR sedan with welled front fenders.

Yes I got an email. We did not discuss body shape. Hate those photos and lack of description. But the seller has been nice. He said that several had been by to see it and all were scared away by condition. I requested in my response confirmation it is a 60 series. See what a difference a 4 door vs a 2 door makes? 17,000 v 2300 production.

If it has dual sidemounts, a radio, and a heater, that was a well equipped Century for 1936. Kind of makes you wonder about the original owner. Why not just get a Special?

Seller emailed me this -

Here is the information from the data plate on the right side, firewall.

1936 Model: 6_ (if there is a second number its illegible)

Style No. 36-4619

Body No. 15812

Trim No. 247

Mo. ? Day ? Yr ?

Body By Fisher

Serial Number on right frame: 2966938

If it has dual sidemounts, a radio, and a heater, that was a well equipped Century for 1936. Kind of makes you wonder about the original owner. Why not just get a Special?

Why not just get a Special?

I guess the original owner liked the idea of " crowding 100 M.P.H. "

The 1936 Century hit a top speed of 95.6 M.P.H. at the GM's Milford proving grounds, not sure of the body configuration of the test car but if it was a sedan then the lighter coupe or convertible coupe may well have been able to hit 100.

Fisher style number 364619 relates to Buick model 1936 61 Century 4 door sedan with Built in Trunk.

Engine numbers run from 3001000 up and Frame numbers run 2830899 up.

We continue to see a trend (or at least I do) where ambitious restorations are not being purchased any more. The seller said he had several people come by and say no that's too much for me.

Basically it's a worn out car same as 20 or 40 years ago. I think prices of chrome, engine rebuild kits, paint, etc has driven a lot of folks out of the hobby. Or forces us to keep our collections smaller and make a decision about which car gets saved or restored.