WTB: License Plate Topper

I'm looking for an appropriate license plate topper for my 1950 Ford F1 Stake truck. I would rather have a reproduction since most of the neat original ones are to expensive to wave around on the front license plate and get damaged.

Anyone know of a source of toppers. Been watching the ones on eBay for a month or so now and did the normal Google searches. I'm thinking something like a Pioneer Seed Corn, Ford Safety Cop, I like Ike, other interesting and not to geographic, but proper for 1950s.

Ebay is full of them, reproduction and original. I personally love the red Pegasus horse. Some of them are just the horse, and some say "Drive Safely." My other favorites are city names, but those were common in the early 1920s and '30s, a little too new for the Crosley.

I have two of the Mobil Pegasus "Drive Safely" toppers, both original and very good condition with minor wear. I would sell one if either of you guys are interested, $110 shipped or trade - I need the "Tydol Fat Man".

Also have a repro Western Auto cat head topper with eyes that move; $20 shipped. Mint, but you can get them out of HMN for same price.

The repro cat head is pretty good except the original finish around the eyes is just a little different. The repro pegasus out there are easy to spot but much cheaper.

These are fun to collect and take up little room.

Thanks for the offer Steve, but I'm looking for something to use on a driver and would be affraid to put $110 out on a license plate waving around. Cat doesn't do anything for me.

I actually have a Fat Man in my collection of tin signs. Bought it years ago, before the price went up. Sorry not for sale I like it on the wall.

How about AAA or Farmer's insurance? Common items on e-bay and usually cheaper than the re-cast aluminum ones.

I have a few originals in my collection too, the prices had gone up so fast I don't have one on a car any more. At one time I had a porcelain "Pemex Travel Club" topper on my 15 T - I was literally hunted down at a show by a guy who wanted to buy it. The guy would not accept that no really meant NO and I took it off the car that night. No need to wake up in the morning and find it missing.

AAA might be ok if it was for our area since I do belong. Keep wondering what they will do when I call them for one of my old cars to come and rescue me.

I check eBay every day so I will find something eventually. I was hoping some company was making reproductions that I hadn't found. Might even design my own.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would show the topper I bought (off eBay). It is made to look similar to the 1950 Ford Safety topper they gave away as part of a contest. You brought your car in for a free safety check and they gave you the topper. You could then write in 50 words or less why safety is important for a chance to win a savings bond.

It was a lot cheaper than an original, so I will not be afraid to use this one. Still want an "I Like Ike" topper.

SaftyTopper.jpg

Edited by Jim Bollman (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
AAA might be ok if it was for our area since I do belong. Keep wondering what they will do when I call them for one of my old cars to come and rescue me. . .

The one time I had to have AAA tow my old car the fellow did not comment on the vintage AAA topper on the license plate.