65 Riviera door jam switches..need one

Desmc14

There are 3 separate wires on the stock switch for the following reason:

You have 3 separate light circuits on a 1st generation Riv. One is "sail panel" lights that you turn on/off by rotating the headlight switch knob; the second is the center console light in the back, which has its own switch under the lens; the third circuit is the center console lights on the side (by your feet) and the map light above the glove box, which can be turned on by the light switch under the dash. All three come on at the same time only when you open the door. The design of the switch with 3 wires keeps these 3 circuits separated from each other when the doors are closed. If you combine all wires together on one switch spade, all 3 light circuits will come one when you activate any of the 3 switches I mentioned above. Not the way Buick designed it.

As Jim says, having your original rebuilt is the best way to go. The next best way to go, in my opinion, is to get an OE reproduction from Calvin Clark. www.corvair.com page 23.

Keep in mind what Jim said, three wires are needed, each has a specific purpose. What you should know about these switches is that they have no 12V power going to them. The 12V power wire goes directly to the lamp socket. You turn on the light with the door switch by completing the circuit by connecting to ground. If you're not careful, a loose wire in the door jam can come in contact with the door frame and turn your lights on unknowingly.

Ed

Ah, yes. A very good build on my note, Ed. I forgot to mention that the bulbs have power all the time and are in search of a ground.

And they have power all the time, whether the key is on or not.

I discovered on my car that the power supply to the sail panel lights in the back are on the same fuse as the trunk light. So if you have any sort of short back there (which I did) and you blow that fuse, you lose your sail panel lights up above the rear seats.

That took me a few minutes to figure out. ;-)

Thanks Gents... this explains why the lights come on when I touch the hole in the door jam... thankfully, I am not paying by the hour to fix this minor issue... I have three wires.. purple, white and black (I think :eek:) .Are the switches from Clark's Corvair the same as these old switches?

Thanks again!

The shop manual wiring diagrams will help you sort out the color codes on the wires.

I have not purchased a switch from Clark's, so I do not know any of the details there. Call them and talk to them. They are very helpful. They may not understand the need for 3 separate wire connections; it is a subtle point. I just don't know.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kingoftheroad
Had it rebuilt by Paul (ROA member) and it's working great!

Thanks again!

paul rebuilt my door switches too. Money well spent..

Looking for help on my '63 jam switches... I would also like Paul to rebuild mine. Any special tool or steps to remove the switch? I noted there are 4 tabs holding the switch in place, so before I mess it up probably should ask the experts...

Thanks!

Guest Kingoftheroad

Its been quite a while since I pulled my door switches out. If I remember right and if the '63 is the same as a '64, with a little pry & pull the door switch should come right out the front but, BE CAREFUL OF THE WIRES ON THE BACK WHEN YOU PULL EM THROUGH THE HOLE !

May have to take the inside kick panel off, disconnect the wires before pulling the switch out.

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

They're held in by the tabs as mentioned. Because every dash and interior lamp has 12V going to them and those lamps are in search of a ground to make the connection, touching the wires on the jamb switch to any part of the body completes the search.

To keep from grounding out the lamps when you remove the jamb switch, the easiest thing to do is disconnect the ground cable to your battery. You can them remove them without any worries about touching them to something. Once you have them out, wrap each wire end in electrical tape. Now stuff them back in the hole until you get your jamb switch fixed. You can hook the battery back up and drive the car again until your new switches arrive. When it's time to but the new switches in, once again disconnect the ground cable on your battery and reverse the procedure.

Ed