Best Media for Cabinet Blasting

I bought ground glass media when I bought my cabinet at the recommendation of the company that sold the cabinet. This was supposed to be good for general rust and paint removal. Functionally it works good but is extremely dusty even when it is new. I have a large cabinet vacuum specifically designed for blasting and its still so dusty visibility is an issue.

When I use glass beads for a finer jobs they make little to no dust and I find myself trying to use those on more course jobs because I don't want to deal with the dust of ground glass.

Can anyone recommed a high quality low dust media to use for general cabinet blasting say around 80 grit. Are there any other drawbacks if you get something with low dust? I was looking at silicon carbide or aluminum oxide.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I use aluminum oxide for rust and thin paint. I remove thicker paint chemically. Does your booth have a ventilation system?

I found a really good film for the inside of my tempered glass windows. It's used in the painting industry to protect carpeting. It's clear and it's cheap. Nice to be able to see what I'm blasting.

I found a really good film for the inside of my tempered glass windows. It's used in the painting industry to protect carpeting. It's clear and it's cheap. Nice to be able to see what I'm blasting.

Are you using the slightly tacky clear film? That's much thinner than the plastic adhesive liners they sell.

I take it that it protects the main screen well enough at a fraction of the cost?

Guest palosfv3

For most work I've been using "Black Blast" which is slag. Works great. Leaves no residue other than a little dust on the parts. Has a decent work life and its can be bought at Menards for about $6.00 for a 50 lbs bag.

Guest martylum

I use aluminum oxide because of low or no dust and it stays sharp for a good long time as compared to some abrasives.But It certainly isn't as cheap as the slag.

Martin Lum

Hey Bob, how aggressive is it compared to glass bead? Is it too rough for cast aluminum? Sure like the sound of the price and availability, Todd C

It's pretty much the same as silica sand or crushed glass. The grains are sharp and the blasted surface will be rough. Of course the finer the grit the smoother the surface. The XTra fine grade would be the coarsest I would use for general cleaning unless you are doing scaley rusted iron castings or something similar. If you are blasting rough aluminum castings I guess it would be OK but it is agressive.

I only use slag for pressure blasting. I use medium glass beads in my cabinate for everything else. If the part is delicate I reduce the air pressure.

As for availability, around here some of the more trade oriented parts stores carry it.........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)