Columbia Overdrive Parts?

Phil Knapp

Does anybody out there have any extra Columbia axle parts?

I'm trying to get a Columbia together for my 1941 Continental.

I can assemble most of the rest of the parts but I need the half of the A17 differential carrier shown in the attachment.

Any leads will be appreciated!

Thanks!

post-31768-143138193111_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Knapp (see edit history)

Phil - It took me 20+ years to collect all the Columbia parts for my '41 Continental, only to find out I did not have the correct axle housing. The inner parts are mostly the same for all years.

I found ALL of what I needed from Dan Krehbiel of Temecula, California. (941) 302-5922.

Michael

Been there, done that!

Dan Krehbiel and I go back to 1962. We were both working on 1939 Ford convertibles.

(1939 Ford Convertible Coupe I built in 1963. My daily driver until I sold it in 1968)

1939 Ford Convertible-'Green Hornet' pictures from cars photos on webshots

Dan supplied the Columbia I installed in my1939 Zephyr

Columbia Overdrive Installation - 1939 Lincoln Zephyr pictures from cars photos on webshots

This is the ONLY part that Dan doesn't have,

Dan's partner, John Connelly doesn't have it either

The VERY poor, attached photo shows Dan Krehbiel's and my 1939 Ford Convertibles in Santa Monica, California in 1965. Dan is standing beside his car and my car is in the foreground.

post-31768-143138193295_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

Thanks for your response and your interest!

Tom,

I’m pretty sure that the Tennessee guys sold their Columbia inventory to Dan Krehbiel and his partner, John Connelly about three years ago. John is doing business on the net as: http://www.columbiatwospeedparts.com/

John is a neighbor of Dan Krehbiel.

Thanks for checking

Cecil.

Look at my Webshots Photo album of my "1939 Zephyr Columbia Install" at: http://rides.webshots.com/album/535592120cTKtFX'>

http://rides.webshots.com/album/535592120cTKtFX

The last few pages contain the complete Columbia parts list.

The A17 part Ford number is 63978, Lincoln is HB4026

post-31768-143138193883_thumb.jpg

Phil, Why not install overdrive..it was available in 41, I have never had an od car..but

I am thinking it may be better / as good?? as 2 speed.. Did your od work in that postwar connie of yours??

I have columbia, and it is sweet. I know od is electric but with proper overhaul , was it any good?? It would be trick to do as the song says and mash the throttle to the floor and shove it on down into overdrive..............Columbia is too much like

a truck thing..We are a Dana city, Cleveland was Columbia..big rivals...

Both types of OD were available on 1941 (ONLY) Lincolns. I have an overdrive transmission, but that would require losing the VIN on the original transmission, as well as installing the shortened driveshaft and the necessary wiring.

I understand Columbias and have used (and broken) several. It's hard to believe that I used to buy Columbias from junk yards for $15 and install them in friends cars over a weekend for $50, but that was in 1953!