Advice on a 40 Buick Special

Guest steve g m

Guest afordman

I am considering buying a 1940 Buick Special four door. It is in pretty good shape and runs and drives good. I've always had Fords, and was wondering if I don't like it, is it an easy car to sell. Any insight on the popularity of this model would be appreciated.

post-43074-143138190927_thumb.jpg

Edited by afordman
ad a picture (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Look at it this way, in 1940 going from a Ford to a Buick would have been huge move upscale, even though the Buick Special was the base Buick model. They would have thought you hit the lottery, or the bank.

Guest afordman

I haven't seen it in person yet. Probably this weekend. When I get pictures i will post them. Thanks much. P.S. I do have a 70 Buick convertible that I love....took it on vacation last year.

Guest afordman

Thanks for the input. I went and looked at it and have added a picture. Paint is good, interior is non-original and in fair condition. Under side is all surface rust. Horn ring, front kick panels and some interior garnish are missing. I should have asked how to start it before it went. It took about 15 minutes to find the starter under the fuel pedal. After sitting for a year, it would not start. It turned over but didn't fire. I was told that it was running when parked. I'm sure that it could be bought for $5500. Any comments are welcome.

afordman, from here it looks pretty good. Price seems in the ballfield. Missing parts should not be too difficult to locate. As 1939Buick said, the color is not correct . May be a dickering item with owner.

As far as not starting, I would try a little gas in the top of the carb. Every thing is probably dry. By the way if the 40 is like the later ones, and if memory serves me, it is, the starter "switch" is on the carb. It actuates when the accelerator pedal is depressed.

If the price suits you, go for it. You should not be sorry. Only one problem. It will spoil you after your Fords.

Luck

Ben

Guest my3buicks

Looks like a really decent car for the money. As stated above the color combination is not correct, but it appears to be a great car to make sure it's roadworth, drive and enjoy, as you are upgrading it. A set of wheelcover that are not painted will make it look better very quickly. Nice find.

By the car you would not be disappointed as the price is nice. Getting the right color paint would be no problem. If you don't buy it let us know where it's at and maybe someone on a form would love to buy it.

Guest afordman

Thanks for all of your advice. I chickened out on it. I'm going to stick with what I know a little about.