Name this sedan?

Guest idoldcarplease

Guest idoldcarplease

My aunt has a picture of her first car. She thought it was a Studebaker but as close as I could get was a 28 Erskin. Too bad the front, windscreen and rear didn't match!

The louver arrangement also seems unique. Almost strikes me as a European touch.

Your help is appreciated.

znancycar.html

post-66960-143138187113_thumb.jpg

post-66960-143138187115_thumb.jpg

F&J,

You're right...that it's a '34 Dodge, but it's the first-series DR Six model (Jan. 2, 1934 intro) with the busy hood louvers. They were replaced by the DRXX Six (June 2, 1934) that had a narrower, more sloping grille, and the streamliner louvers you pictured. Both rode on a 117" wheelbase, and had a 217.8cid inline six making 87hp.

Pretty cars,

TG

F&J,

You're right...that it's a '34 Dodge, but it's the first-series DR Six model (Jan. 2, 1934 intro) with the busy hood louvers. They were replaced by the DRXX Six (June 2, 1934) that had a narrower, more sloping grille, and the streamliner louvers you pictured. Both rode on a 117" wheelbase, and had a 217.8cid inline six making 87hp.

Pretty cars,

TG

Learn something new every day:confused: I know I've never seen those louvers before...even going to Hershey for 20 years... back in the olden days:)

Guest idoldcarplease

You guys are incredible. How can you possibly know that level of detail? DR, Jan to June. Do you happen to have a link to a 2dr picture? You don't know my aunt.

I did look on google images...for a 34 or even a 33 2dr...found just one streetrod. Found several 2dr streetrods on carnut.com.

2dr's were extremely rare in 33/34 Dodge...there are countless 4drs still out there.

Guest idoldcarplease

Maybe posting the pictures is a public service. I've been Googling since the first reply, I've found 4 drs and 5 windows but no 2 drs. As F&J notes there isn't much out there. kaiser 31, couldn't open yours. Thanks for the effort.

Maybe posting the pictures is a public service. I've been Googling since the first reply, I've found 4 drs and 5 windows but no 2 drs. As F&J notes there isn't much out there. kaiser 31, couldn't open yours. Thanks for the effort.

Can you open my last one?

That was super eye work by F&J. It occurs to me that the back of the 2dr has the sweep out in the bottom that might fit the potter trunk that we were trying to identify last week. It also has the gas filler around the right place.

The entry level (small) Chryslers of 33/34 also have that sweeping tail.....and I am thinking the 4 dr also?

On page 95 of Automobile Quarterly Volume 32, Number 3, there is a photo of a 1934 Canadian-built Dodge DQ 4-door sedan (which was based on a Plymouth) that with the exception of it being a 4-door sedan is a dead ringer for the car in your photo. I cannot find a photo of an American-built Dodge with a hood like that. I wonder if a couple of the photos posted here were also of Canadian-built cars.

Guest elmo39

idoldcars , if you ar interested in old dodge cars , try to get a copy of crestline publications, THE DODGE STORY, by TA McPHERSON , it will id most models , if you require something more technical, try and get a copy of MoToRs AUTO REPAIR MANUAL , TWELFTH EDITION ,it covers mos t mechanical from 1935-49

• 1 year later...