HF "Portable Garage"

padgett

Has anyone used one of the HF portable garages ? On sale and would solve a temporary problem but have no idea what "8 mil vinyl laminated to a "Rip Stop" polyester" means. Apparently a replacement cover is available.

Florida tends to be a bit moist and this is looking like a wet year. What kind of ground cover could be used ?

I have seen quite a few of these going up even in the frozen tundra. They appear to be holding up well, but I doubt they're of HF quality. I have been meaning to inquire of them, but haven't noticed them being sold anywhere I have been. They would be nice if they would hold up and they're portable.

Guest Richard D

Would be ok for UV protection, but humiditywill be a problem. If the sides seal and it has a floor a dehumidifier might help but are not cheap to run

More concerned about groundwater than dehumidification - do not have one of those in either garage but those are raised/cement floor. Just have seen bottom rust occur from sitting in dirt floor garages. Probably not needed for long. Just really have no idea if "8 mil vinyl " is good, bad, or indifferent.

Padgett,

I have one that's exactly like the one that shows on the front page of the website you listed. I'm only offering my opinion (I'm not in any way associated with the company), but I've just gone through my third winter with the portable garage here in MA without a single problem. Its located behind my garage, staked to the ground, and next to a line of huge pine trees (trees help cut the wind). I store one of my 92 Rivieras in it from late Nov to mid Apr. I put down a vinyl tarp over the dirt floor inside the portable garage, park the Riv on the vinyl, put a car cover on, put down Irish Spring soap in plastic cups, and then bring the front/sides/rear of the tarp up and secure them to the cover. Never had a moisture or mouse problem yet. Sun has yet to do any UV harm. I do brush off any snow we get ASAP to keep weight off. But most often as soon as the sun appears after snow it slides off by itself. Hope this helps.

I cut slivers from a bar, put them in cups and place them at each tire, in the trunk, in the engine bay, and on the floor of the car's interior.....the mice don't like the smell...it beats the stink of moth balls hands down.

You can make a frame from 1" PVC (1 1/2 is better but more expensive) for about $100

Then buy a standard plastic tarp (about $39 for entry level) which will last about a year.

Better quality tarps will last longer (also depends on where you live)

The advantages of a cheap storage unit like this is.... it keeps the cover OFF the vehicle. The unit might trap some moisture but even in a garage, the humidity is going to be the same as outside humidity. The other advantage you can drive the car in and out and the cover stays in place.... this can be an advantage if there is snow or ice on the cover.

Because of local laws/regulations, you may not be allowed to make a storage unit on your property.

For anyone using one of these, the key to happiness it that when you think that it is well anchored, anchor some more. I had one anchored with steel rebar tie wire into concrete anchors on the driveway, and in a brick wall, and tied to chain link fence posts. During a nasty winter storm, the wind got under it, stretched the tie wire, and ruined the paint on my 68 Charger. I will not

use one of these units again. It is cheaper to pay garage rent, than to

mess with the damage that can occur with one of these. Never again. Not even if you gave it to me for free.