My winter project

Guest 75RivGS

Guest 75RivGS

Started by the end of November last year, now it is almost time for the the nicer part; re-assemble

Only thing that is left is painting; had the idea to do it myself, but with nowadays prices of paint, a much more experienced friend will do that part.

Electra now has received its second layer of primer (incl a sealer)

Choose another shade of green than the original Buick color (was Lime Mist poly. New paint will be more like the '72 Hunter Green; the Electra already had a repaint in almost that color)

The only rust I found was on the lower driver's side wheel well; cutted a small piece out and welded a new part:

DSC05075-1.jpg

DSC05080-1.jpg

Dis-assembly started:

30092009045.jpg

To get the passenger's rear 1/4 straight again was a real PITA; it had a few very little dings from the inside of the trunk, but due to that large surface it was too much noticable for me:

DSC05100.jpg

DSC05241.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

DSC05330.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

In the mean time I rebuild the TH400:

DSC05208.jpg

and did more minor things:

added rear defogger, pwr trunk release, made the rim blow steering wheel work again, new front bearing seal.

A rechromed front bumper is on its way now from TX

Still on my wish-list: CC, new clutch for the AC (but who needs an AC here anyway??

• 1 month later...
Guest 75RivGS

Repaint came out great!

Added fender monitors (thanks for the templates, Keith (my3buicks)!!) and replaced the clutch of the A/C compressor and cleaned the engine bay.

Only waiting for the rechromed bumper to arrive. Container already passed customs, so hopefully next weekend (if the weather cooperates) I can make a few photos outside.

DSC05372.jpg

DSC05370.jpg

Rob,

Great job. Hopefully your weather will be as ours is suppose to be later this week. 70F +/-

Looking forward to more pictures taken outside with great scenery. (not that there is anything wrong with the inside of your shop)

Stevo

Guest 75RivGS

Thanks all.

I hope I can make a few nice, outside photos with a Chinook or Apache helicopter in the back ground next week. Think that makes a nice scenery.

Tonight it was the last time till after Eastern I could work on the Electra. Picked up the re- chromed bumper. Still some minor things to do: put the nicer set of Buick wheels back on (used an old rusty set during repaint), add emblems.

DSC05381.jpg

Today I also received a package from a good friend who is rebuilding a 72 Estate Wagon into a 2 door with sheet metal parts of a 72 Electra 2 dr. Very interesting project which I hope to see 'live' in August: 72 Estate Wagon Limited Sport Coupe - V8Buick.com

He shipped some parts of the 72 which he won't use; chrome and pot metal are in a better shape than mine... so still some work to come (rear bumper has to come off again).

• 1 month later...
Guest 75RivGS

Made the last improvements (suspention, engine bay detailing etc) last month, so now is the time to enjoy the (smooth) ride.

A few photos and a video:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jbg2hRE-g&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jbg2hRE-g&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

DSC05835.jpg

DSC05842.jpg

DSC05847.jpg

DSC05822.jpg

DSC05823.jpg

DSC05841.jpg

She (?) drives like new just from the factory 39 years ago; no sqeeks / rattles or whatsoever

PurchaseOrder71BuickElectra2dr.jpg

5yr50000mlswarrantyTyrrellBuick1.jpg

P-O-P71mirrored.jpg

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)