The latest "recall panic" - tires ???

Guest DeSoto Frank

Guest DeSoto Frank

A fellow gear-head e-mailed me yesterday asking if " I'd heard the news about tires failing due to dry-rot after only two or three years? "

He did not disclose where he had read/ heard about this, I presume through some standard news/media outlet...

Anybody else hear about this, or is it perhaps some smoke and mirrors to divert some attention away from Toyota's recent troubles ? :rolleyes:

Edited by DeSoto Frank
shpellingk (see edit history)

There's been a big deal over the age of tires in the media in the past few years. Some of this is valid, most is idiocy. Anyone remember Firestone 721 tires?

As for the Toyota panic, I bought a used 1986 Audi 5000 back in 1988, after the original "unintended acceleration" panic. Firesale price on a really nice car.

There's been a big deal over the age of tires in the media in the past few years. Some of this is valid, most is idiocy. Anyone remember Firestone 721 tires?

As for the Toyota panic, I bought a used 1986 Audi 5000 back in 1988, after the original "unintended acceleration" panic. Firesale price on a really nice car.

Joe, I agree, hype on both counts.

It seems like there was a thing on 20/20 or one of those "investigative" shows a year or so ago about date codes on tires and their shelf life, maybe that it what your friend is talking about. I think the recommendation was that if your tires are seven years old they are potentially unsafe and should be replaced, no matter how they look. A nice sentiment and maybe even a good idea, but sorry, I can't do that. Todd

HYPE ???

The Firestone 721 recall was NOT hype.

We had 2 cars with Firestone 721 radial tires, and between the total of 10 tires (including spares) six of them went through tread separation before being extensively worn.

I recall having to drive 46 miles, the remainder of my trip to Baton Rouge in 1976 or 1977, driving on a still-inflated carcass without the tread which had spun-off (2nd one in less than 40 miles - who would expect that?).

The dealer couldn't believe that I had driven on the steel, but I explained the wierd circumstance -- he told me that Firestone had just announced the recall, and would now replace the 721s on both of our cars. I was leary, but went for it, and did not have any more tread separation, prior to selling both cars a year later.

Guest JWBrothers
I bought a used 1986 Audi 5000 back in 1988, after the original "unintended acceleration" panic. Firesale price on a really nice car.

I did nearly the same thing, bought an '85 Coupe Quattro with 35,000 miles in 1988 for $3,400. It got me started on Audis and I still drive one today.