Ever had to clean out a friend's junk?

Paul Dobbin

While helping a friend clean out the barn of a decease collector, we found 15 unidentified fenders and splash aprons (from the teens & 20’s) that neither the family or the estate auctioneer wanted to mess with. I just couldn’t let them go for scrap iron because many of them are N.O.S.. If we knew what they were for, somebody might just need them. Seven rear fenders, left and right where stacked with paper between them, with the top ones getting surface rusted.

I’m listing them in the AACA “What is it?” section of this web site. Can you help me? I really don't have any idea, so look at my posts there and see if you can help. Watch for additional ones as I'm new at this picture posting stuff.

Moral of the story, Mark you stuff so somebody else doesn’t throw it out just because they don’t know what it is.

post-32318-143138165166_thumb.jpg

As a matter of fact....... You asked.

About 1977, I helped a friend clean out his deceased Dad's shop. He was an aircraft sheet metal mechanic, forever.

He built a boat one time with a dodge motor in it and had a blower from a forge hooked to it for a super charger. As the story goes he ran it through the side of some ones yacht.

I bought the all original 49 Harley.

He sold the 3 Indians, The inline 4 cylinder, (Chief?) was complete, and two basket case, (Indians). There were also 2 other Harleys that were a pile of parts. A couple from Charlotte bought the whole lot.

There was a rotary aircraft engine in the rafters.

Some kind of strange automobile motor with oil bath rocker arms, (so I was told)

A 1/5th exact replica of a 47 Ford with a wash machine motor, hanging on the wall.

A 20 ft. metal lathe and tons of brass boat propellers.

What wasn't sold for cheap was hauled to the scrap yard.

I was broke and real stupid back then.

Bill Harmatuk