Manufacturer Clay Design Models

Scotts_DG8

Just a curiosity question. Has anyone seen, or maybe have, a clay design model that was originally developed within a Manufacturer’s Design Department. The reason for my question is that my grandfather had an original model of the Chrysler Airflow, 1937 I believe it was, and it was on a base that was approx 2 feet long by 12 – 16 inches wide. The clay model was actually about 18 inches long, 10 inches high and about 8 inches wide. I’ve lost track of it with some deaths in the family through the years and asking cousins has turned up nothing, my opinion is that someone sold it or threw it out. Are there any others out there? Maybe of other model cars? Pictures would be nice if they exist and are out there...

Scott

Jeff

I know everything west of Pennsylvania is probably one large insignificant state to you, but Auburn is in Indiana... not Ohio. Although it is not too far from the border.

Scott

There is a real nice model of the Packard "car of the dome" in the Dayton Packard museum. Next time I'm there I'll shoot a picture for you.

49_cosmo_1x_648628.jpg

Larger

This '49 Lincoln Cosmo took my breath away when I first saw it. Made of plaster at about 18" long,

the fabulous model is in the private collection of a former FoMoCo designer. It sat on his desk during

his tenure, though his career began many years after the study's creation, and he took it with

him when he left the company.

49_cosmo_6x_879593.jpg

Larger, I would give my right arm for it!

49_lincoln_cosmo_892397.jpg

Larger, an ad thrown in just for fun...

TG

Usually the clay was melted down and reused especially full size models. Small scale models were sometimes kept around or given away as souvenirs.

There are a few of them around, usually the former possessions of auto executives or stylists.

The model was a gift from the designers, my grandfather was one of the test engineers of the car, although I do not remember if he was the lead or one of the lead engineers. I just didn't know if others made it outside of the manufacturers design studios.

Jeff

I know everything west of Pennsylvania is probably one large insignificant state to you, but Auburn is in Indiana... not Ohio. Although it is not too far from the border.

Scott

There is a real nice model of the Packard "car of the dome" in the Dayton Packard museum. Next time I'm there I'll shoot a picture for you.

West,

That would be great to see a picture another manufacturers model. If there is an opportunity to take a picture someday I, and I think others, would find it interesting to view. Thanks for the offer...

Scott

Special Interest Autos No.19, Nov/Dec 1973 included an article on the postwar Studebaker,

and among its features was this 1/4 scale convertible.

47_stude_quarter_scale.jpg

I bought the magazine on the newsstand, and this image has been

rattling 'round my gray matter ever since; what a model!

TG

TG,

Ok, the plaster model is pretty darn nice and although it is a few years newer than the 1937 Ariflow and it has a color finish it's looks to be about the same size as the one that I was referring to.

Now, the Studebaker model, wow. I'm sure there are a lot of "Kid's" here on the forum that would love to have that "Toy" in their toy box. I know I would, it's just amazing, to bad the picture is not in color. The real question is where would it be today, and are there others like it? Thanks for that adding this bit of twist to the question...

Scott

Scott...your clay model in question was probably on the shelf behind this guy...

Yep, that's basically the type of model that I was referring to. And your probably right, as it was a 1937 it's probably one of the clay blobs on he shelve. It was on a more formal base with and a plaque on it. I can not remember the inscription though. If there are other pictures more real life setting(s) out there that would great. Thanks...

If that picture was taken in 1933 the 1934 models were finished or possibly already on the market (if it was September or later).

So he is working on a 1935 or later restyle job. The grille does look like the one adopted in 1935. But the swoopy fenders and Pierce style headlights didn't make it. Too bad.