brand new to forum

Guest 62specialcoupe

Guest 62specialcoupe

Hello everyone. I have a 62' buick special 2 door picked her up last summer traded Harley for it. I am not sure if this is the right forum or where I should be looking so if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I am looking for the original steering wheel. Car is red if that matters.

Guest COMPACTBC

What kind of steering wheel do you have now? If your interior is Red then the correct wheel would be Red. For your info ALL Models of '62 Buicks have the same wheel, the only difference is the horn button. I have a Red steering wheel, but it would need restoration as most of the wheels out there will need.

Guest 62specialcoupe

Thank you for replying and the good info. I must admit I do not know much about this car ( 62 special). I have been searching for a good sight for information about the 61, 62 special when I found this forum. My car was painted red, (exterior) has seats out of 80's corolla, early 80,s 233 engine with 350 turbo tranny( fire wall and tranny hump was cut) back seat appears original. The dash is black metal no dash pad? My objective is to get this car back to era specific appearance, being that the fire wall was modified close is all I can hope for. The car has a very clean body so I feel it worth some effort and money. I am interested in the steering wheel for this car as well as original horn button. sorry about the novel here, any info advice, or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Here's a couple of photos of my car.

controversycar1.jpg

62_4067_steering1.jpg

I have plenty of exterior shots, but not so many decent interior shots. My car has bucket seats up front.

If you post the firewall data plate information, we can help decode it for you and try to get you well on your way. There's a few of us here that have them, but CompactBC is pretty much the expert.

Guest 62specialcoupe

Thriller, Is your car Skylark or Special. Steering wheel looks like Skylark interior package. Please correct me if I am wrong. I will try to get the data plate on this thread tomorrow. This is what my wheel should look like I beleive. Thank you for responding. GetAttachment.jpg

Guest windjamer

Nice ride Thriller,Your wheel is VARY simular to my 65 includeing the cracks befor I restored it. Why the heck do they ALL crack in that aiera???

Guest 62specialcoupe
Bring it down to Iowa in July.

Your welcome in the Buick Club of America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the invite. I have to sort out some mechanical issues: rear end noise at 55mph, tie down chains in engine bay, leads me to beleive thais car was raced at one time likely the rear end ring and pinion have been changed best guess is 3.73 gears according to the old spin wheel count D. shaft revolutions. I beleive the original gear ratio is 3.36

Edited by 62specialcoupe (see edit history)

Guest 62specialcoupe

Thriller

data plate was painted over in black by the previous owner tried chalk did not work so this is how the data plate reads:

06E Flint Michigan

style 62-4027 body BC 2936

trim 031 paint TC1

ACC SYN

Here is a picture of my 62 special. I will take some more of the interior and post in the next day or so. Thank you for your help.

post-65818-143138160792_thumb.jpg

My car has power steering, which doesn't show up on its data plate. The car is a base Special, and prior to me, there was some butchering involved.

Body number starting with BC means it was built at South Gate, CA. A book I have is conflicting as to whether trim 031 is white or fawn. Paint TC should signify a Fawn Mist lower colour with Arctic White top. I'm not sure about the 1...there may have been different two tone styles.

The serial number would start with A if it was a V6 car and 0 if it had the V8 originally.

I am unable to decode any more...I hope this helps out a bit.

Guest 62specialcoupe
My car has power steering, which doesn't show up on its data plate. The car is a base Special, and prior to me, there was some butchering involved.

Body number starting with BC means it was built at South Gate, CA. A book I have is conflicting as to whether trim 031 is white or fawn. Paint TC should signify a Fawn Mist lower colour with Arctic White top. I'm not sure about the 1...there may have been different two tone styles.

The serial number would start with A if it was a V6 car and 0 if it had the V8 originally.

I am unable to decode any more...I hope this helps out a bit.

I appreciate all your efforts. Where can I find research information for this model? I was wondering if there were any sights or companies that you or anyone else might know of that sells parts for this car salvage yards included. The interior is of special interest to me because the front seats, and carpet are not original, the head liner is missing as well as interior trim. I would be greatful for Any leads or direction.

You might try car-part.com which is a search engine of participating North American junk yards that you can search parts for your 62 special. I just looked up front seats and steering wheel for your car as a test and found a few yards that have them.

Guest 62specialcoupe
You might try car-part.com which is a search engine of participating North American junk yards that you can search parts for your 62 special. I just looked up front seats and steering wheel for your car as a test and found a few yards that have them.

I will have to check them out early next week got another classic in my shop now that I am tearing into. I will let you know how it turns out with the salvage yard.

Try Wheatbelt Buick

Also Compact Buick Club - Bruce is on here every now and again, but there's an e-mail address for him there. If that doesn't work, I have it. He's an authority on these cars.

The first Sunday of May is the Gopher State Chapter's Spring Extravaganza at the state fair grounds in St. Paul. There is a decent swap meet with it and a good number of Buicks attend - there may be someone there who may be able to help...of course that is a ways off. I haven't ruled it out, but I don't suspect I'll get there this year.

Guest 62specialcoupe

I want to thank everyone for sharing thier knoledge with me. I have a rear end for the special coming in early spring it's not rebuilt so I will be ordering seals at the very least. I will look into compact Buick club and further my investigation. Thanks again and look for the pic updates as soon as I can get the car out of the garage or add decent lighting.

Welcome to the forum. We are seeing more and more of the '61-'63 Special/Skylarks show up at meets. For several years they were rarely seen, I for one am glad that people are finding them and bringing them back to life.

People like Bruce can be great in helping you.

Guest 62specialcoupe
Welcome to the forum. We are seeing more and more of the '61-'63 Special/Skylarks show up at meets. For several years they were rarely seen, I for one am glad that people are finding them and bringing them back to life.

People like Bruce can be great in helping you.

Thanks, I traded my Harley for this gem and the wife stole it from me but she does let me work on it.

My wife is trying to steal mine...as soon as we can get confident in its capabilities...however, it has been fix one thing and something else crops up. I need to get it a bit more reliable before comfortably turning over the keys.... Of course then I'd need to start working on my '61 Invicta so I'd have a convertible to drive as well.

Guest Chris_B

Hey folks I'm new to this forum, I work in the timber industry and i was recently walking over a tract of our timber and came upon a old buick and i need some help identifying it, the VIN number is located behind the right front wheel # 1492833 I dont have any idea what year model this car is most of the sheet metal has rusted out but there are a few parts on the car that i could sell cheap, steering box and components,leaf springs and even the frame is in good shape. any help is greatly appreciated

Guest 62specialcoupe
My wife is trying to steal mine...as soon as we can get confident in its capabilities...however, it has been fix one thing and something else crops up. I need to get it a bit more reliable before comfortably turning over the keys.... Of course then I'd need to start working on my '61 Invicta so I'd have a convertible to drive as well.

I basically have a good runner save for the rear end gears being to low for highway, 55 mph is top end before engine starts screaming. Invicta's are nice cars, I would hesitate to tell of my other classic on this site would not wish to offend anyone out there.

Guest COMPACTBC

THE WHEEL IN YOUR PICTURE LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE A '61 MODEL 4000, BUT I'M NOT 100% SURE. THE '61 WHEEL I'M USED TO SEEING IS THE ONE OUT OF THE SKYLARK MODEL WHICH HAS A HORN BUTTON THAT IS A LOT FANCIER. IF IN FACT YOU HAVE A '62 THE CORRECT WHEEL SHOULD LOOK THE SAME AS THE PICTURE DEREK SENT YOU. ALL OF THE WHEELS I HAVE LOOK THE SAME A DEREK'S, BUT WITH A FEW LESS CRACKS.

Edited by COMPACTBC (see edit history)

Guest 62specialcoupe
THE WHEEL IN YOUR PICTURE LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE A '61 MODEL 4000, BUT I'M NOT 100% SURE. THE '61 WHEEL I'M USED TO SEEING IS THE ONE OUT OF THE SKYLARK MODEL WHICH HAS A HORN BUTTON THAT IS A LOT FANCIER. IF IN FACT YOU HAVE A '62 THE CORRECT WHEEL SHOULD LOOK THE SAME AS THE PICTURE DEREK SENT YOU. ALL OF THE WHEELS I HAVE LOOK THE SAME A DEREK'S, BUT WITH A FEW LESS CRACKS.

If you are correct then that makes me the proud owner of the wrong steering wheel. Is there any way I can be sure of the correct wheel. I have seen this wheel in other specials but not sure if they were 61 or 62.

Guest COMPACTBC

AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH IN MY LITERATURE, I COULD NOT FIND ANY GOOD PICTURES OF INTERIORS SHOWING STEERING WHEELS. I GOT INTO MY PARTS BOOK AND THERE WAS A "STANDARD WHEEL" AND A "DELUXE WHEEL" OFFERED. I DID FIND A SIDE VIEW PICTURE OF A STEERING COLUMN ON A #4000 SERIES CAR THAT LOOKED LIKE YOURS, WHICH APPEARS TO BE DIFFERENT THAN ONES WITH A DELUXE WHEEL. THE "STANDARD WHEEL" WAS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON THE #4000 SERIES, BUT NOT ON THE #4100 AND #4300 SERIES. SO IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVE A CORRECT WHEEL ON YOUR CAR. I ONLY VAGUELY REMEMBER SEEING ONE ON A CAR AT A SHOW MANY YEARS AGO. THEY ARE RARE! THE PART NUMBER FOR YOUR WHEEL IS #768096.

Guest 62specialcoupe
AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH IN MY LITERATURE, I COULD NOT FIND ANY GOOD PICTURES OF INTERIORS SHOWING STEERING WHEELS. I GOT INTO MY PARTS BOOK AND THERE WAS A "STANDARD WHEEL" AND A "DELUXE WHEEL" OFFERED. I DID FIND A SIDE VIEW PICTURE OF A STEERING COLUMN ON A #4000 SERIES CAR THAT LOOKED LIKE YOURS, WHICH APPEARS TO BE DIFFERENT THAN ONES WITH A DELUXE WHEEL. THE "STANDARD WHEEL" WAS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT ON THE #4000 SERIES, BUT NOT ON THE #4100 AND #4300 SERIES. SO IT APPEARS THAT YOU HAVE A CORRECT WHEEL ON YOUR CAR. I ONLY VAGUELY REMEMBER SEEING ONE ON A CAR AT A SHOW MANY YEARS AGO. THEY ARE RARE! THE PART NUMBER FOR YOUR WHEEL IS #768096.

Just so I understand, your telling me this photo is the correct wheel for my car. This photo is of another members parts car not mine but I did purchase this wheel having beleived it to be correct to my year and model. I really appreciate your help and patience.

post-65818-143138162648_thumb.jpg

Hey folks I'm new to this forum, I work in the timber industry and i was recently walking over a tract of our timber and came upon a old buick and i need some help identifying it, the VIN number is located behind the right front wheel # 1492833 I dont have any idea what year model this car is most of the sheet metal has rusted out but there are a few parts on the car that i could sell cheap, steering box and components,leaf springs and even the frame is in good shape. any help is greatly appreciated

You should post this to "New Thread" at the top of the general discussion page. I take it that the car in question must be pre war?

Chris B, Go here. http://forums.aaca.org/f115/help-out-new-member-275933.html And Welcome Aboard. :) Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)