63 rivi window motor/s

Guest seattlerivi

Guest seattlerivi

Wondering if anyone can help me out, i am in process of restoring a 63 rivi currenly have the entire interior out and thought it might be a good time to replace the window motors ( I think there is 3 per side, front vent, main door and rear window) However I am not sure about this. All the windows work fine but the motors are struggling on all 6 windows.

I have 2 questions.

1) are there 3 motors per side

2) anyone know where I can buy new or oem or R/R'd ones for a resonable price?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

Mark,

Yes, each window has its own motor.

Before investing in new motors, or even having yours rebuilt, take off the door skins on the front and clean the channels; there's 45 years worth of gunk built up on them. Then relube them. It might be time to install new channel lining Do the same to the rears, but you'll have to do that from inside. Also check to see if any of the rollers are broken and make sure that they turn freely. If you need new rollers check with Mr. G's www.mrgusa.com

Ed

Edited by RivNut
correct URL (see edit history)

Replace the power window gears and relube the gear boxes while you're in there. I have a set of the window motors off of a '64 if you have one that is plain bad or wanted to send them out for rebuilding while still having some.

Guest seattlerivi

all the windows and motors work, they just sound like they are working really hard.....

is that a motor thing or a channal and roller thing?

The motors are working hard to plow through the dirt and grime. The lubricant that was used originally will solidify and gunk things up. It comes off easily with a scraper and a wire brush. Do the maintenance first and look for improvement before spending money on something that may not work until you've done the maintenance. If you look in the archives, you can find posts that tell you how to remove the door skins.

Power vent windows are notorious for snapping the end gear off. There's a vendor who advertises in the Riview and sells bronze replacement gears. If your gears are good, don't force the vent windows shut using the motor. Give it a nudge with your finger to snap it into the seal.

Ed

Ed is right about cleaning and lubricating, you will be amazed at the improvement. While the skins are off also check that all bolts holding the regulator and channels are actually there and tight. I had a door window that was inoperable, turned out that two bolts had backed out and fallen to the bottom of the door, very easy fix. Another thing to check is that the rubber / felt channels have not moved out of place, causing friction. Good luck!

Also, used first gen window motors pop up on ebay fairly regularly. In fact, I believe there are some for sale now. Usually, you can pick them up fairly cheaply, and it doesn't hurt to have a spare or two on hand.

Along with the cleaning, degunking and relubing already suggested, and as long as you have the door skins and rear quarter panels off:

• Consider replacing the cruddy old sticky rollers with nice, new fresh smooth nylon rollers
  • Check the lower channel glass support assemblies on the main left and right glass. There should be a pot metal? or cast? arm attached to a big pivot rivet towards the rear of the channel. Often this cast arm is snapped off and gone. Some say you dont need this rear support/guide arm, but the designers evidently thought it was necessary, so I looked until I found used replacement channels with the arm intact.
  • The motors and attached sector gears themselves can also be dissassembled and cleaned. Note that there is a procedure in the manual for removing the motors (specific safety precautions regarding the heavy motor spring).

good luck!

alex