There are NO stupid Questions...Or Answers

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Gee_Rydes

I would just like to take a moment and say thanks for all those who help us here on the board. Sometimes we may ask an obvious question without doing all of our research first and sometimes we may answer a question we believe to be the truth and may be wrong.

If I am wrong, correct me, but this is a club and a community. We do not have a patient on the table that will die if there is a wrong answer given or if it takes "more than 3 responses" to answer a question... as some have complained about.

The ROA, like any organization, has a bunch of great people with varying levels of knowledge but we still encourage all to become members. This helps us fund future projects and supports membership as a whole. As with any group of people, you will also have varying degrees of helpfullness and tolerance...some of which has surfaced at times. Just be aware, no matter the title a person may hold with the ROA, they are not necessarily representative of the majority of the membership of the ROA.

I am here to help and not ridicule those for lack of knowledge. I encourage any of you to add your support for this board, the ROA, and mostly those that are still learning about Rivieras.

Edited by Gee_Rydes (see edit history)

I would hope that this is clearly understood by everyone who has a question, wether they are a member of ROA or not.

Many do not realize that every month approximately 50 new members join ROA. Most are new owners and as new members have not had the opportunity to read articles & technical tips in the Riview, read posts on the various forums, or spoken with one of our technical advisors.

There is one thing we've learned since ROA was founded over 25 years ago ...We all benefit from questions and the answers shared by the patient and understanding members, who have the knowledge and experience.

We encorage and welcome all questions, that's how we learn.

Ray Knott ROA #1

Director/ Editor

ray@rivowners

www.rivowners.org

Guest gotitright

Thank you to all, I am one of the rookies and I really appreciate the veterans that help me. Merry Christmas and good tidings to all. Thanks, Kyle

Hi Dave and All,

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! I specifically recall a post by Dave which definitively answered a question I had for many years. I had been told by a

very trusted and knowledgable original member of our club that the `65 model has the VIN stamped on the top of the frame rail but never saw any documentation. I have parted many cars but those I disassembled down to the frame were so rusty an inspection for the VIN was impossible. Dave answered that question both for me and any other member who poses that question to me in the future. Thanks Dave!

From my perspective as a long time member, Trustee and Tech Advisor, anyone who asks or answers a question gets an "A" for effort and participation no matter what the question or answer! Thanks to all who do so! It is simply unacceptable to chastise someone on or off list just for participating.

Having said that, I do have a suggestion for those seeking a possibly more definitive, immediate and personal response...make a well placed (during the evening but not too late!) phone call to the appropriate tech advisor. Their contact info is listed in every Riview.This is a benefit which we all enjoy with our membership. I have often taken advantage of this option myself. (Thanks Tim!!)

Once again, Happy Holidays to all and above all else, keep participating!!! ;)

Tom Mooney

RivNuts,

If I may, I'd just like to add something to all of the positive responses that have been said here.

There are many of us who participate on this forum who have been in the ROA for a long time and many others who have been members only for a short time. Without question, we all probably agree that chances are you will get the best answer to your question by contacting one of the ROA's technical advisors. But, think about this - not all Riviera owners or prospective owners who participate on this forum are ROA members. They don't have the option of contacting a Technical Advisor, therefore they post their questions here.

What do those non-members think of our Association when they read a negative thread to a post. Especially if it's posted by a member who holds or has held a postion - voluntary, appointed, or elected - with the ROA. The ROA is a thriving, vigorous, helpful, and fun organization of which to be a part. This needs to come out in every thread that any member posts. The Association can only continue to thrive if it maintains its current members and attracks new members. This won't happen if threads are written in a negative tone.

A good friend of mine said something like this to me many years ago - "ROA members are first attracted to an Annual Event because of the cars; after that, they attend because of the people." Let's make sure that all Riviera owners, members of the ROA or non-members, are attracted to this forum becasue of the people. Chances are most of our non-members friends will complete an ROA membership application in the future if we keep treating everyone with respect.

Thanks,

Ed

Allow me to chime in here and offer my agreement with RivNut. I am a longtime AACA member. I am not yet a member of any Buick or Riviera specific club.

I have owned several Rivieras as slightly used cars as well as new cars in the past. I recently purchased a great one owner 1984 Riviera that I found for sale on the AACA Discussion Forum.

I have been reading this Sub-Forum constantly since becoming a Riviera owner again. I have done some research and was planning on joining the ROA. If it were not for all of the positive posts that have been made after that recent negative post, that post might have been sufficient to keep me from joining the ROA. In any club, it is important to make new folks feel welcomed. A positive and polite attitude is important in the on-line world. It is vitally important for the future of our hobby to remember that.

Guest simplyconnected

I call it 'bantering' when someone expresses a different angle, but much has to do with attitude. This board is fabulous. It allows a question, then answers are 'put out there' for the world to see. That's the good part.

Look, nobody is perfect. I have given advice that was superceded by a much better answer. But, everyone benefits from this kind of discussion. There have been times when I saw wrong answers given, as well. We do have a great bunch of very experienced restorers who freely share their talents and resources. I really enjoy hearing the 'real deal' from them, along with technical info extracted from the manuals and catalogs.

With all due respect, I believe a wrong answer cannot just 'ride'; if someone has a more correct answer, it is their duty to post it (member or not). Let the posts be subject of debate, but let's keep an open mind and a kind attitude. - my two cents. - Dave