Diecast Welding??

hddennis

Thanks to the GOONS at the Post Office this is the condition my Maxwell dash l arrived in at my buyers house. This dispite 3 boxes and the most careful wrapping I've ever done. DON'T ever send anything valuable uninsured.

Has anyone had one of the chrome shops weld this type of item? Any experience? Recommendations? Costly?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give, Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138140476_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138140481_thumb.jpg

Man, I absolutely HATE it when that happens!! I just sent a set of very nice plastic "A" pillar trim pieces to my buddy in Michigan for his big block Dodge Dart. One was broken by the Gorillas at the post office. I had them meticulously wrapped, but uninsured. THAT will teach me, I guess. I would go to a welder and see if he knows anyone who can fix your part. I think that there are guys who advertise fixing pot metal in Hemmings Motor News.

DeSoto Frank beat me to it. Muggyweld (aluminum welding, pot metal repair, cast iron, silver solder) offers a Super Alloy #1, a low temp high tensil strength solder especially for pot metal repair. Don't confuse this with the stuff sold at flea markets demonstrated to solder beer cans & repair aluminum air conditioner coils. Suggest making a good solid jig to hold it flat and straight while repairing this dash.

Let us know how it turns out, include pics as you go so everyone can benefit from this incident.

Unless the piece is readily replaceable I would NOT practice welding on it. If it were me I would take it to a GOOD restoration rechromer who knew what He was doing. After welding, the repaired area can be resurfaced with body filler, assuming it's going to be painted or copper if it's chrome. It's going to cost a few bucks all is not lost.........Bob

Thanks guys. I knew about the potmetal rod and if I could find the guy that demos it I'd let him do it in a heartbeat. But I played around with this stuff years ago when it first came out and made a lot of shiny puddles. I'm looking for the guy that can tell me who got him out of a similiar jam. Or someone to sell me a replacement panel for a 1916-17 Maxwell.

Howard Dennis

You know the old saying "You can't see the forest for the trees". I should have thought of that myself because I repaired a broken stud that holds the fuse panel on this dash that same way. Guess I was so mad I wasn't thinking straight. Thanks

Howard Dennis

Guest martylum

Hi-The teens were very early days for potmetal technology with lead impurities causing the pot to be very brittle as it aged.

My chrome plater for many years has repaired many pot pieces for me successfully. Qual Krom 800-673-2427. Sometimes these early pot piece are just too brittle to successfully repair.

Martin Lum

What are the dimensions of the part? A replacement could be cast, if it is not too big.

Note: The lead in the old pot-metal parts was from the die-cast shop foreman walking around with some lead shot in his pocket.

When a casting didn't come out smooth enough, he would put some lead into the mix and the surface would improve.

They never figured on these parts still being used 50+ years later.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, the other Milledgeville.

I used to have parts sent to me and many went to Milledgeville, GA before I got them.

Not sure why.

Do you have an aluminum foundry nearby that could cast it for you? Once it is painted and installed, no one but you would know it wasn't pot metal.