1938 BUICK Automatic [self shifter] Maryland (on Ebay & Craigslist)

1939_Buick

Found this doing a Craigslist search:- May interest some folks. At the price it may attract Hot Rodders

A very rare car.

Craigslist:- 1938 BUICK RARE SEMI AUTOMATIC - $8500 (MANCHESTER, MARYLAND)

Ebay:- 1938 BUICK SPECIAL SEMI AUTOMATIC ANTIQUE

For sale is a 38 Buick special 4 door, I got it at a estate sale last week......what is really rare is it is a semi automatic transmission. I have never seen another one. Was a old mans car. Last time on the road was 96. Has some dings and small dents but I see no rust...interior must have been redone just before parking it...Stored in doors I have not had time to get it running I did put a new battery in it and it and the motor spins with the starter.. Pictures are not the best ,,the rain couldn’t get it out side. I may do part trade or maybe a full trade...if you got something I like...... rubys55chevy@comcast.net ...............or call Gary 410-239-3492

post-51977-143138127329_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I think this guy had a good '39 Special convertible he sold about 6-7 years ago that I waffled on and lost out getting. I can't remember exactly what year it was, but I think it was about 2004. Manchester is a small town.

If it's the same guy, he'd gotten the convertible out of an estate as well, and he got it running very good.

Allan, put my car on Craigslist, haha. I don't know how.

Why hasn't someone hit the " buy it now " button on ebay?

That has to be a real bargain at $8200, great model with a rare " hens teeth " option and looking like its in pretty good shape.

Someone needs to buy that and start driving it! What a shame it's on the other side of the world.

What about Mr Earl - you want something earlier don't you, or thriller, empty that rubbish out of your car trailer and go get this beauty!!

Even the dry areas have some shine...overall nice interior although the dash could use some work, decent exterior, and a rare transmission. The mechanicals on a Buick straight 8 are pretty straightforward generally. Even if you had to rebuild, I think it would be a decent price.

Stuart - I too have to wonder why it is still available. I don't have anything from the '30s yet, but The Boss much prefers the '33. It's a long way off to boot.

looking closely there is a lot of work to be done here.

The steering wheel has the classic black tape wrap repair, and the interior door panels look to be covered with a sheet of cloth/ fabric, the originals with the factory stitching , may be minty? or rotten, and the seats are covered with the same fabric that looks like slip covers, home made. Again the seats under there could be verry bad or as a friend here found with his 51 ford post, like new seats from the factory under a couple of layers of after market seat covers.

This is the type of car you buy for the uniqueness of the transmission. The rest of the car, you'd really want a personl inspection by someone who really knows 38's.

Me for example, and I'm willing to volunteer to go and have a look. I'm just one country and a couple of plane tickets away.

This is the type of car you buy for the uniqueness of the transmission. The rest of the car, you'd really want a personl inspection by someone who really knows 38's.

This is a tough call. I avoid at all costs vehicles propped up in price because of a "rare and desirable' factory option. The 64-66 Nailhead 2 x 4 set up or anything four speed is a good example.

So, this has the semi automatic which in most in most respects adds zero value to it because it was a problematic feature to begin with and 2. it's not a visible feature such as it being a convertible or a low volume series 90.

Stewards of the hobby would want someone to buy this, restore it for the purpose of having it around for the "future generations".

I'm gonna agree.

For me, I'm one of those Buick nuts who would buy it even though it was problematic, and I think it was described in the day as shifts gears like a woman driver (no offense intended from me)!, it appeals to me.

My dad would have said, 'do you really want that?' To which I would reply.... yes.

That has to be a real bargain at $8200, great model with a rare " hens teeth " option and looking like its in pretty good shape...
The "Buy Now" price has dropped to $7700.

The seller seems a little annoyed by the comments here... based on the comments he added to his listing. I can say that I have a 38 sedan and have restored a few cars, and the door panels cetainly are wrong pattern and by the pictures 'appear' to be simply covered by a sheet of cloth. The seats covers are not original patterns and while a nice recover job, they are recovered.

The rad is wet inside and a rainy day doesn't typically rain horizontally into the rad engine compartment side. I also see a water hose in one picture and a driveway with streams of water leaving the area of the car... Not being picky, just think a seller needs be fair when an old car is represented by pictures and description for sale.

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

relisted again Buick : 4 DOOR:eBay Motors (item 120497724913 end time Dec-01-09 15:55:42 PST)

"Buy now" price dropped again to $7500

The other self shifter on ebay, as this thread, http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1938-self-shifting-transmission-ebay-272068.html was sold for $5100

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)