Cadimum Plating is Gone

Curti

In case this helps.... I saw this posted on Ahooga.com by Steve Plucker...

I found a place in Broomfield, CO that does the ORIGINAL STYLE Cadmium Plating (Dull Cad.) for those who are interested AND they use the "Cyanide" process.

Aro Propeller

9616 Metro Airport Ave.

Hanger # 44

Broomfield, CO 80021

303-469-1749

800-525-8756

Cost:

16 lb. minimum @ $85.00 and $4.75/lb. over the minimm poundage.

$10 Hazard fee.

Parts MUST be clean OR they can clean them but that is a $75.00/hr charge if they have to clean them.

Take a look at www.janekits.com.au People who have used his stuff are enthusiastic. I dont see Cd listed but that is not an idication that he would not supply if required.As I recall it has good adhesion and corrosion protection; and the original electroplater I first used did Cd base on some very average wire wheel lock rings with Ni on top, and the protection and appearance have lasted very well. Needless to say, if you get to do this yourself you will be dealing with something that is very nasty biochemically, and you must follow precautions rigorously, or permanently compromise your health. You may be able to source do-it yourself supplies similarly where you are; but always remember that the advice and method are often more valuable to you than the chemicals.

2009 Official Judging Guidelines.

Page17

Item 7. There will be no deduction for the use of aluminum paint or stainless steel to simulate cadmium plating as long as the final finish actually simulates the apprearance of cadmium plating.

So if you can't find a shop to do the work this might help you.

Guest Jim Morningstar

I live in Michigan and use a plater in Madison Heights that does cad plating. They are very reasonable-I had 5 split rims and 100 pieces of Jaxon clamps, acorn nuts, wheel bolts and nuts done for $250.00. I have also had door latches, hood latches, hinges and many small parts done by them (Plating Specialties) as recently as September, with excellent results. The key is to prep(metal finish) the part as best as possible. A rough surface as from shot blasting or aluminum oxide will make the finish frosty looking. Fine sanding and wire wheel final prep make the part as new and shiney.

Thanks for all the responses. I fear that in the near future all cad plating will shut down by our friends at the EPA. I still wonder if clear zinc looks like cad. I know that cad is more resistant to the elements than zinc, but the cars I restore are not subjected to the winter time salt. Silver paint just isn't me.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Robin Coleman

Cad plating is not meant to be a durable coating. Think of it as a sacrificial anode. The elements attack the cadmium instead of the metal underneath. It is easy to do at home for small parts. Check out Caswell Plating on the web. They sell the kits. I did all the parts on my Norton Commando with one. The results were perfect.

Cad plating is not meant to be a durable coating. Think of it as a sacrificial anode. The elements attack the cadmium instead of the metal underneath. It is easy to do at home for small parts. Check out Caswell Plating on the web. They sell the kits. I did all the parts on my Norton Commando with one. The results were perfect.

I tried the Caswell plating and did not have great luck. Anyway my question remains. If you don't bake the parts that you have had cad plated, don't you run the risk of hydrogen embrittlement?

Guest Robin Coleman

tbirdman...I had great success with the Caswell system...Just make certain the parts are beyond clean, and do not touch them for an hour or so after rinsing them off. The number one rule in any plating process is clean, clean, clean before you start.

• 5 years later...
Guest Old School Plating

Hi,  We at Old School Plating offer OEM plating standards from yester-year.

Cyanide Cadmium

Chromates, Gold, Black, Clear

Zinc Black Phosphate

Black Oxide

Zinc Plating

Re-surfacing & Baking

www.oldschoolplating.com

Guest Old School Plating

Hydrogen embrittlement is formed in all electroplating processes ( zinc or Cad ) but it does not effect ferrous materials under a hardness of 40 rockwell.  On steel parts electroplating 40 rockwell or harder the hydrogen can be remove with a bake out at 375 degree F for 3 hours with in 24 hours of the plating process.