O-ring torque converter

Guest Super '54

Guest Super '54

Hi there! First post...so here we go.. My '54 is leaking from the TC so I removed inspection plate and cover. The TC is perfectly dry (outside) from the near of the front and rearwards, but wet where I guess the O-ring will be.

I plan to remove the 322 to have this adressed but I'd like to know if I could get by by just replacing the O-ring :rolleyes: or should I replace the front seal on the tranny as well? ( Leaves are fallin' and I have to work on the car outdoors...:o)

Edited by Super '54 (see edit history)

Hi there! First post...so here we go.. My '54 is leaking from the TC so I removed inspection plate and cover. The TC is perfectly dry (outside) from the near of the front and rearwards' date=' but wet where I guess the O-ring will be.

I plan to remove the 322 to have this adressed but I'd like to know if I could get by by just replacing the O-ring :rolleyes: or should I replace the front seal on the tranny as well? ( Leaves are fallin' and I have to work on the car outdoors...:o)[/quote']

If the seal isn't leaking you could get by without changing it. Of course it might start leaking 2 weeks after you put it all back together. Or it could be the seal that's leaking now. Might as well do it right and replace the seal. I assume you made sure a drain plug isn't leaking..........Bob

When doing this repair take your time and follow the service manual.

These converters have weights on them and you want to make sure you assemble it the way it came apart.

If it is like my 55 you should only need to remove 3 or 4 bolts to seperate the converter from the engine flywheel. Don't make the mistake of removing them all before you have everything marked clearly.

Good luck,

Rich

Guest Super '54

Thanx in advance! I aim to to take care of this as soon as possible, before x-mas i.e ;) (BTW pardon for my bad/ misspelling English - all in all I'm just your friendly neighborhood Swede (or would it be neighbourhood?..nah that seems to be British English..off topic I know..misuse of capitols etc..)

I'll keep you updated as I proceed anyway.:)

Thanx in advance! I aim to to take care of this as soon as possible' date=' before x-mas i.e ;) (BTW pardon for my bad/ misspelling English - all in all I'm just your friendly neighborhood Swede (or would it be neighbourhood?..nah that seems to be British English..off topic I know..misuse of capitols etc..)

I'll keep you updated as I proceed anyway.:)[/quote']

Your English is a Hell of lot better than our Swedish. Come to think of it, it's also better than in a lot of the posts from the U.S. Good luck with the dynaflow. It's actually a pretty easy trans to work on. BTW, do expect your trans to drip some amount of fluid no matter what you do. It's just it's nature...........Bob

Have you checked to make sure that all the bolts holding the front cover of the converter on are torqued to 25 ft./lbs? I had a few loose ones that caused a massive leak...tightening them turned it into a manageable drip...just right for a Dynaflow. :)

Here's a free supply of "u" 's for all the Brits who need them. They're all NOS or only slightly used.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

LOL.

--Tom