Kids (Juniors) @ Hershey

Dick380185

Just wanted to let you all know about an unexpected pleasure I had at the Hershey Meet last week. About mid-morning a gentleman came to me and asked if I would be willing to speak to a group of young people about the motorcycle I was showing. When I said I would, he scheduled me for a 1:00 "meeting" with this group of youngsters. I just would like to tell our members what an enjoyable time I had speaking to these future members, and if you ever get the chance to be asked to do so, please take advantage of it. My main concern was not wanting to bore the kids with things that went over their heads, so I planned to speak on their level as best I could. (Being a retired school teacher, I thought I could handle this.) The kids were very well-behaved and showed a genuine interest in my motorcycle and what I had to say about it. After I was done speaking about the bike, I asked for any questions they might have, and they had some very good ones. When I was finished they all said "Thank you" in unison.

I would just like to thank the fellow who was in charge of this neat program at the meet. I was especially touched that my and other motorcycles and minibikes were chosen in addition to the automobiles and trucks at the meet. We motorcycle owners at times feel as afterthoughts at the shows, and would like to say "Thanks" to all involved with the Junior AACA program for including us as presenters. I feel it was a genuine privilege to be asked to do this. :)

Dick,

Nice experience and thank you for sharing with us. It could have been past National President Doug Drake that arranged it. Not sure if was him but Doug has been running the Youth Seminars for years with great success I might add.

Regards,

Peter J.

A few years ago I took a kid that was about 10 years old for a ride in my '31. His family says he still raves about it and he is about 15 now. Maybe my nurturing will bring him all of the way into the hobby.

A few years ago I took a kid that was about 10 years old for a ride in my '31. His family says he still raves about it and he is about 15 now. Maybe my nurturing will bring him all of the way into the hobby.

This is a photo of one of the kids I baby-sit for, Daniel (age 6 at the time of the photo, he's now 7), the son of two of our very close friends. The driver is my husband Bill and the man standing by Bill is Daniel's father Dan. This is Daniel's first ride in an antique car, our 1974 Mercedes 450 SL. Look at that grin. :D

post-36313-143138120449_thumb.jpg