Texarkana Debut For "Copper Top"

Charles D. Barnette

As the 1959 Buick Division already knows, I am now the proud owner of a 1959 Buick 4 door Invicta Hardtop as of last month. She is special, because she was made in Canada with an external color combination that could only be ordered in Canada (not in the USA). She is Artic White with a Copper color top, thus I call her "Copper Top". Carla will post in a separate post shortly pictures taken on September 29 when the car arrived in Texarkana and on October 10 when the car made its debut in Texarkana at the Tex-Ark Antique Auto Museum Show in Texarkana for the Quadrangle Festival. The pictures include the car posing at the old Lewis Buick dealership building (now abandoned and not in use) where my dad bought a similar car brand new in 1959 (except his car had a white roof), the car at Highland Park Elementary School where my dad picked me up as fifth grader in his brand new 59 Buick, the label found in the trunk, and the car on display at the show last Saturday. I just got to show her with her new Texas tag as well. Now I feel like a real member of the BCA. Charles D. Barnette

Good to hear from you Roy. Copper Top was it as far as Buicks at the show other than the Buick from the 20s owned by Roger Booth which is housed inside the Museum which you saw last year. There was much doubt over when Copper Top would reach Texarkana. She only arrived by transport from California 10 days before the show. There really was no time to advertise her appearance. Charles-I am still trying to figure out Copper Top's Canadian history.

We're working on it. The car was sold new here in Winnipeg. The building the dealership was in is still around and is still in the automotive business. It's a neat building with a ramp going up so stock could be parked on the roof. We leased a '99 Pontiac Montana from the dealership that was there (although no longer the same dealer as for Charles' car). As soon as I can get over there in daylight (it isn't far, but I'm a working stiff), I'll get some photos for Charles as the building is now. If things keep up, there'll be snow in the photo, which Charles may have to explain to folks down in Texarkana.

Charles also has the information to contact the GM of Canada archivist to find out if they have records for the car.

It's really a neat colour combination.

Guest Ctynes57

Those who say you have to have 2-doors and/or a convertible to be collectible better take a second look at these 4-door beauties. The 59 Buick 4-door flat top and 57/58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham are two of the most beautiful cars on the planet. Pictured here is my two and a half year old brother (David Barnette) in 1963 sitting on my Dad's 1959 Buick, and then here he is 46 years later with his son, Chase, standing next to "Copper Top". The third picture is of the two 4-door creations that are highly collectible. Charles D. Barnette

post-61385-143138121687_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138121688_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138121689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ctynes57 (see edit history)

Guest Ctynes57

Attached hereto is a picture of Dickson Motors of Winnipeg logo attached to the left rear of "Copper Top". Then attached are newspaper ads of Dickson Motors in the Winnipeg Free Press. The first ad is dated April 1, 1948, announcing the appointment of Dickson Motors as the authorized dealer in Winnipeg for Pontiac, Buick, and Cadillac. The second ad is dated Saturday, February 28, 1953, and by then Dickson Motors had their location at the corner of Portage at Furby Streets in Winnipeg. The second ad also contains a picture of Harry Dickson, President of Dickson Motors.

post-61385-143138122153_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138122154_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138122155_thumb.jpg

So I'm guessing you used the Winnipeg Free Press services. I never thought of that. Graham & Edmonton is only about two blocks from where I currently work - the building pictured is no longer there as far as I can think of.

I haven't forgotten about getting a photo of the location that Copper Top was sold from...I walk to work, so I don't have easy means to get to the location in the daylight...I'll have to remember to pop there on the weekend, but Saturday at least looks pretty hectic.

Derek, by combing through the newspaper archives of The Winnipeg Free Press, I have discovered that the first date that Dickson Motors conducted business from the location of Portage at Furby was December 19, 1949. I look forward to receiving your current picture of the building used by Dickson that still stands at that location. Charles

Derek, you told me about the "Vintage Car Services" that GM of Canada offered. I can now report that GM of Canada has confirmed the paint codes of "Copper Top" and its interior as being correct; and they have given me the birthday of "Copper Top" as being November 20, 1958. However more importantly they have confirmed that "Copper Top" is only one of 670 1959 Buick Invicta 4 door hardtops built for sale in Canada! Charles

check google maps.... I think the building is still standing there at the SW corner of Portage and Furby.

I recall it being a reddish brick building. The main floor was gutted and I think I remember seeing it as parking. I'm going to have to drive by there this weekend to have a look too!

I used to go there every sept/oct with dad to see the new cars ( I woould have been 6 that fall) .

Guest Ctynes57

Here is a picture of the building that was used by Dickson Motors, Ltd., where "Copper Top" was shipped from GM of Canada and where "Copper Top" served as a demonstrator vehicle. I wonder how many 1959 Buicks "Copper Top" helped to sell?

post-61385-143138126146_thumb.jpg

check google maps.... I think the building is still standing there at the SW corner of Portage and Furby.

I recall it being a reddish brick building. The main floor was gutted and I think I remember seeing it as parking. I'm going to have to drive by there this weekend to have a look too!

I used to go there every sept/oct with dad to see the new cars ( I woould have been 6 that fall) .

John, do you have in your possession a new car brochure from Dickson on the 1959 Buick? If so please send me a copy and post it on this site. I would be most grateful? Charles-I would like to add it to the material I am gathering on "Copper Top".

I took a look, and I have a 58 Pontiac with the Dickson Motors stamp and the salesman's signature. Dad did buy his new 1958 Pontiac there.

Then I have a bunch of Buick brochures into the early 60's but not a 59. sorry!

I notice that the brochures are all rubber stamped with the dealers name and address. I wonder why they did that...

I still plan to take a drive by there, and I'll take the camera.

Edited by ewing (see edit history)

John, when you go, I would like to see a picture of the ramp used to drive on top of the building. Also some inside shots would be nice as well as all around the building. I would like to see shots of Winnipeg from all directions from on top of the building. I am keeping a notebook on Copper Top and would love to add your photos to the notebook. I have gained alot of respect for Canadian built Buicks. Could you scan your oldest and newest Buick brochures from Dickson for me as well as the club for inclusion here? Thanks, Charles-also did Dickson build the building when it first moved into it in December of 1949 or was it already existing? If there is a cornerstone that should be photographed as well. Thanks again.

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

so I went there this morning I thought the building was replaced and took shots all around. Now that I look at them, I am thinking that the new dealer front, may still have the old building behind it.... I guess I'll have to go back again and go inside for a tour.

I took pictures at the back of the ramp area and now that I think about it, this is probably the old structure and roof.

anyway, for now here are a few pictures. Too bad the front was updated. But I'm thinking that the area behind the showroom update may actually be the original shop and such.

now I have to figure out how to post pictures again....

I notice that in the original newspaper ad posted earlier the ad says Dickson Motors is at the corner of Graham and Edmonton. Derek Isn't tahe even closerr to where you work? can you chack on what is there now?

I am sure however that the Dickson motor where the 59 was bought was at Portage and Furby,.... that where Dad bought his 58 Pontiac, and that where we went lookin at new cars... Portage Ave location.

I took a picture of a buildiung just 1 block of the Portage location and this was the building I was thinking of earlier... you can see the resenblkance of this building to the ad andf why I was mistaken.

I'm going to print a copy of your car picture with the Dickson motos badge and take it over there.

Timing is such that I likely can't get there for at least a week now. Unless Derek can in the mean time, I will do that.

Maybe Derek , you and I should plan a field trip there together and see if we can get permission to snoop around the back and roof??

Derek Isn't that even closer to where you work? can you check on what is there now?

Yes, it's about 2 blocks away...on the NW corner is the Second Cup, where we occasionally go for coffee. NE corner is the new MB Hydro Building. SE corner is the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, SW corner is some shops and a small parking lot...there's another place in there that we sometimes go for a coffee break.

There are no buildings there currently that make sense to have been a car dealership.

On the other hand, I believe I am also close to Manitoba Archives...if I could make some time to get over there, perhaps I can get some era shots. This working for a living kind of gets in the way though.

Dickson Motors placed a joint ad with Winnipeg Motor Products Limited in February of 1959 in the Winnipeg Free Press calling the 59 Buick "Year's Most Beautiful Car!". I will have Carla post a copy of that ad on Monday. Here is one line from the ad that got my attention: "From the fashion centre of Paris to the cities and rural communities of Canada, came the same enthusiastic admiration...this is THE CAR, Buick '59." Charles

Edited by Charles_Barnette (see edit history)

Guest Ctynes57

Here is the Dickson Motors' '59 Buick Ad dated February 6, 1959, appearing in the Winnipeg Free Press. The Ad also states: "See 'Tales of Wells Fargo' CBC -TV".

post-61385-143138127921_thumb.jpg

Guest Ctynes57

Here is an article from the Winnipeg Free Press dated February 3, 1950, stating that with the introduction of the new 1950 Pontiac brand new premises were opened for Dickson Motors at Portage and Furby Street. The article states that roof parking is available for 100 cars along with 75 cars able to be serviced in rear shop area. This does not include a large number of models able to be displayed in the front display space. Mayor Garnet Coulter was on hand to cut the ribbon to officially open the new showroom. There is a P.S. to the article that states as follows: "In case you're interested, you'll find the gasoline tank opening of the Cadillac for 1950 under the left tail-light."

post-61385-143138127922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ctynes57 (see edit history)

wow, I wonder if any Mayor in this day and age would do a ribbon cutting at a new car dealership location!

This building I took pictures of has to be the 'original' mentioned in the article for 1950.

Looks like we will have to do a field trip there. Maybe there are old 59 Buick parts stashed away in the rafters!

Guest Ctynes57

Here is proof that a Cadillac Eldorado Brougham appeared in the Dickson Motors Showroom at Portage and Furby Streets for sale in 1958 (although it was a slightly pre-owned car - it was the only one in Winnipeg at the time). Winnipeg Free Press-October 18, 1958.

post-61385-143138128204_thumb.jpg

Charles,

Do you have bigger images of those newspaper shots? If so, would you mind e-mailing them to me? I could show them off at the local car club meeting on Sunday.

I suppose I could pay the money to the Free Press, but they're already working on giving me less for the money I pay, but that's another story.

Guest Ctynes57

Here are pictures of the photo shoot done of "Copper Top" by author/photographer David Temple for a future issue of Collectible Automobile magazine. The pictures are of David at work and his final product will be announced when they are published. The photo sites are at 3 locations: 1) Beech Street First Baptist Church of Texarkana, Arkansas, 2) First Methodist Church of Texarkana, Arkansas, and 3) the Tri-State Motel of Texarkana, Texas. The date was Saturday, November 7, 2009.

post-61385-143138131205_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131206_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131207_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131209_thumb.jpg

post-61385-14313813121_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131211_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131212_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131213_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131214_thumb.jpg

post-61385-143138131215_thumb.jpg