devaux pictures

JustDave

hello everyone

has anybody seen the pictures of the devaux cabriolet convertible on ebay

370265446773 and 290353411041, it shows this vehicle at a car show in mass 1962, does anyone remember this car ,can they tell me who owned it or possibly where it is now,ive been looking for a devaux cabriolet for many years an they always seem to slip by me when the fiew are for sale, any leads would be appreciated dave

1931 devaux

1932 devaux

1927 moon roadster

1939 pontiac sedan

1970 olds 442 w/25

1970 chevelle el camino ss396

1971 gmc 2500

barry the devaux convertible as i remember where hinged at the front,i wasnt aware that continental made a convertible, if so would like to see the pitures if there is any available,also seen pictures of a 32 durant dominion motors car an it looked an awful lot like a devaux in 32, i have a 31 coupe an a 32 coupe but the convertibles always seem to elude me dave

I don't know. They certainly offered it. I can't imagine they didn't make any. I can understand why they weren't saved at the levels of the Model A, but one must exist. They were probably all destroyed in the scrap drives of WWII.

I'd really like to add one to my Continental Collection. I just learned today that MG made a "Continental" in the '30s. A new quest.

BARRY ITS GOOD TO KNOW IF IN FACT THEY DID MAKE SOME THEY ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE DEVAUX AN MAYBE I SHOULD START LOOKING THERE INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR A DEVAUX

THE DEVAUXS JUST SEEM TO BE NON EXISTANT, I THINK THAT MAYBE THE SCRAP DRIVE OF WW2 IS WHERE MOST OF ARE ORPHAN CARS ENDED UP

THANKS FOR THE INFO

DAVE

I've looked at several '40 and '41 Lincoln convertibles. Just haven't found the right one. Many have been had their engines replaced with V-8s. I really want an original V-12. They can now be reworked to eliminate most of the reliability problems that plagued them.

The Bentley is another story. I really want an S-1 convertible, but they are rare, and priced beyond my means. Another that I would love to have is a 1953 Cunningham C-3 Continental convertible, but alas, that too is outside my means. There were 29 RHD Bentleys and 6 Cunningham convertibles made.

BARRY ITS GOOD TO KNOW IF IN FACT THEY DID MAKE SOME THEY ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE DEVAUX AN MAYBE I SHOULD START LOOKING THERE INSTEAD OF LOOKING FOR A DEVAUX

THE DEVAUXS JUST SEEM TO BE NON EXISTANT, I THINK THAT MAYBE THE SCRAP DRIVE OF WW2 IS WHERE MOST OF ARE ORPHAN CARS ENDED UP

THANKS FOR THE INFO

DAVE

It appears that it's just the hinge arrangement that makes the cars different. I was told that a lot of the 4,000+ cars produced over two years were made from parts left over from DeVaux. Was DeVaux an all steel car?

barry

my 31 has extensine wood including the roof which is all wood,the floor rails an all is wood the 32 has the floor wood platform but the roof is steel much like a 32 ford 3 window,this is the main reason i havent started restoration yet,ive been thinking about moving to the south east early next year if this happens ill probably start resto as soon as im setteled an working,calif is getting way to expensive,im tired of working just to pay the bills an the taxes

dave

There's a '32 De Vaux Convertible Coupe in the Grand Rapids Museum.

1932 DeVaux Convertible Coupe, MI Auto Tour, Michigan Historical Center

It would be the same type of car as the one in the ebay pictures (mis-captioned as a roadster); wouldn't it be cool if it was the same car? Below are stats from 1933 & '35 Red Books for '32 De Vaux and '33-'34 Continentals. Note the Continentals have all-steel bodies, and the Roadster appears in the Beacon and Flyer lines only.

Click once on the image after opening to enlarge.

32_devaux_33_conti_original.jpg

Also sold in Canada as the Frontenac, there's a good bit of info here at Durant.com...

http://www.durantcars.com/catalogs/frontenac/33mC400.shtml

A random sampling from 3 Automobile Topics Magazines paints a bleak picture of registrations...

August, 1932: De Vaux, 75 sold; Durant, 22; Ford, 30,135

(7 months, 1931: De Vaux, 2,733; Durant, 5,381; Ford, 401,150)

(7 months, 1932; De Vaux, 1,049; Durant, 1,065; Ford, 154,260)

February, 1933: Continental, 15; Ford, 1,744

December, 1933: Continental, 233; Ford, 10,892

Small wonder for the survival rate of De Vaux & Continental production.

Finally, this article appeared in the Sept. 24, 1932 Automobile Topics...

"LOW-PRICE CAR BY CONTINENTAL IS HINTED

---------------------------------------------------------

Angell Promises Announcement Soon---Hayes Designs Bodies

Dispatches from Muskegon, Mich., where President W.R. Angell delivered an address this week, indicate that Continental Motors Corp. will be ready to announce a new low-price car within the next 90 days. Substantiation of the story is seen in the Detroit report that Hayes Body Corp. is developing a line of bodies radically different in design and construction for the new Continental car.

The feeling in Detroit is that this latest Continental venture will be operated separately from De Vaux, which Continental took over several months ago. And in this respect, it is pointed out that F.L. Rockelman, who resigned as Plymouth president and general manager last week to serve in an as yet untitled position with Continental, would be one of the most competent executives in the industry to put across a brand new offering in the low-price field."

I bet Mr. Rockelman regretted that move, but the Continental bodies are quite advanced and very pretty.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

hello everyone

the devaux convertible in the grand rapids museum is the former forest sweet car out of texas

i tried to buy this car in the seventies but was told it wasnt for sale,the convert that myron cummings owns is the former bill harrah car,i missed that one at auction about 1970,ive been told theres one more in south or central america to be restored but havent been able to track it down,howard reinke in michigan is about the most knowledgeable guy about devauxs ive metand again he thinks there werent many more made,the continental roadster is intresting

i think ill look into them,also im trying to put together a survivors list of devaux cars i will be bugging everyone i know for pictures of there car and vin number,will try an finish the list this coming year dave

• 4 years later...
Guest 34FRONTY

Myron has just passed the other day and I believe that his cars will be offered for sale, This might be your only chance to get a convertible DeVaux as it appears that only 2 known at this moment.

Guest 34FRONTY

I knew Dave was looking for one and mentioned he knew about this one. Sad about Myron though.

hello everyone

yes Myron passed away a couple of weeks ago,he was only 62,i met up with him and howard reinke at Hershey several years ago,i know Myron was like a son to howard and will be missed by many,his cars will go up for sale soon and I will keep everyone interested in the loop,he has 2 restored coupes a restored cabriolet, 2 unrestored coupes and 2 unrestored sedans,he also had a 1937 Chrysler convertible sedan unrestored that will be sold,its a shame he had to leave so young was a nice guy,from what I understand from howard he had a brain tumor surgery done in January and had a massive stroke soon after, died in march dave

Guest 34FRONTY
That's sad. I only collects cars that bear the Continental name, so I have little interest. However, if they are anything like his other cars I'm sure they're quite nice.

Barry: The convertible owned by Myron could possibly have a Continental name on it. This car could very well have been made by the Continental/DeVaux Automobile Company, but that would need to verified by the Identification Plate as to which company made it.

Guest 34FRONTY
hello

i think there is more cars out there than we know about im going to try an get info an pictures incl parts cars an street rods, i know of several thats not on the website,am going to try an get a complete list if thats at all possible

dave

Dave: Would you mind sharing your list, as I too am involved with Durant connected automobiles and companies and would like to add to my registry. Thanks if you can help.

hello everyone

the 32 cabriolet that Myron owned is the ex bill harrah car,its a 32 continental devaux as no 31 devaux cabriolets where built,i believe the cabriolet as well as the 2 31 coupes are for sale,the 2 unrestored sedans a 31 and a 32 have been sold along with all parts,myron was a true devaux lover as seen in his restorations,fronty you will need to get with gary yelle on the list when I started mine he was already gathering info so I stopped,i believe gary has 1 or 2 devauxs at this time along with a Durant coupe,dave

Guest 34FRONTY

Thanks, I have spoken with Gary Yelle and have a copy of his current registry, just a thought that you might of had something different than his, so thanks for the update.