1926 DB true color???

Guest a_danner

Guest a_danner

Hi every one,

today i was messing around the garage and decided to start cleaning the fire wall on my 26 dodge, i just got the car not too long ago, and i though the whole thing was black (looked org.) but after scrubbing the fire wall with simple green and an sos pad, the fire wall became blue in stops, is there any way of tell what the true color of my car was when it rolled out of the factory???

You will be able to tell the color of your car by its model and sequence #, if you post it here I will look it up for you or at least do my best to get your answer. I have a listing that I believe should cover what model you have.

Guest a_danner
You will be able to tell the color of your car by its model and sequence #, if you post it here I will look it up for you or at least do my best to get your answer. I have a listing that I believe should cover what model you have.

Where would i find such number? i may come off as a bit of an idiot, but the oldest car i have owned up to this point was a 73 cougar xr7, I may be biting off more then i can chew with this car, i just would like to make it right, but i have no clue were to start and i am not real good with forums. But thanks alot for all of you help!!!!

a_danner

Defanitely not an idiot cause only idiots dont ask questions and you are not biting off more than you can chew and you will see that once you start to really get involved with your car. They are so much more simplistic than a 72 Couger Xr7. The Dodge Brother serial number was found on a aluminum plate which was tacked onto the front toe board. ( the toe board furthest to the firewall or in other words the first board ) And also according to my info of early paint info was etched into the chasis of the car at the rear of the right front spring shackle.

I myself did not know that prior to 29 this was where the #s were etched, I knew 29 they were there but did not realize that at least 23-28 was also to be found in the same spot.

I would also look at your title if you have no luck in either of these spots, maybe the car was tagged using the serial # at one point instead of the often used engine #. If you need help finding the spot of the serial # on the frame let me know and I can post here again the location of it via photograph. My reccomendation to you ( and I wish that I had taken my own advice from the begginning ) is to have patience and go slow. Dont be in a rush and enjoy yourself.

You might want to read a previous post I made recently concerning where to start with your car and learning its characteristics, just search my most recent posts, it might offer you some advice you can use. I and many others here will help in any way we can, as I mentioned what I know about D.B prior to 29 could fit into a thimball but I am sure that I could give some advice or info and learn right along with you thru other members.

Guest a_danner

1930, thanks for your help, i do not have a title for this, this is yet another problem, i have looked for local help and all i get is a bunch of looks, it is as if people who are into these old cars do not approve of a "kid" having such a car. I mean sure at first when i got it, i had the notion to cut it up and make it fast, but then i got to thinking if i wanted to do that they make fiberglass bodies, and if i did cut it up, i would ruin this great piece of history, this was a complete car with only one rust spot no larger then 4x4in. Also taking your advice i do want to take my time with this and get it as close to original as possible, i just hope that the car was not stolen, as i have no title or key, just a bill of sale from the DEALER i got it from. i hope to attend the hershey show next weekend and get an idea of what im getting into. Again thank you all so much for your help!!!!!

a_danner

1930, thanks for your help, i do not have a title for this, this is yet another problem, i have looked for local help and all i get is a bunch of looks, it is as if people who are into these old cars do not approve of a "kid" having such a car. I mean sure at first when i got it, i had the notion to cut it up and make it fast, but then i got to thinking if i wanted to do that they make fiberglass bodies, and if i did cut it up, i would ruin this great piece of history, this was a complete car with only one rust spot no larger then 4x4in. Also taking your advice i do want to take my time with this and get it as close to original as possible, i just hope that the car was not stolen, as i have no title or key, just a bill of sale from the DEALER i got it from. i hope to attend the hershey show next weekend and get an idea of what im getting into. Again thank you all so much for your help!!!!!

a_danner

I really admire your wanting to keep it original. I must advise you though to get a title for it prior to doing ANY work on it. That way nobody can come up to you later and say "Thanks for restoring MY car" and walk away with it all because there was no title with your name on it. We have witnessed this time and time again.

A_danner, if you come to Hershey next WEEKEND, you will only see the car show. Not sure what you are expecting, but most of the flea market is done by Friday, and there's nothing on Sunday. The car show would be very good to get an idea where you are headed. My car is a do not judge in class 17A, look me up. I'm not hard to find. If you can get there Friday find the DB club spaces and join. The club has a dinner Friday night that you could meet about 125 members and get a good meal cheap.

Guest a_danner

i would love to come to hershey on friday, but i cant really miss another day of work, i took off this friday to go to carlisle, im trying to sell a 51 kaiser. too many days off really cuts down on the ol pay check. But i will be there on saturday, i am only about 2 hours away, i live up in western maryland.

I have never done it but I have been told time and again to get a title thru Alabama, not sure what the story is with that state but I guess it is the easiest way to go. I would find that # on the frame rail that I mentioned and make sure like Keiser mentioned that it is not stolen. Chances are it is not but just to be safe before putting any money in it.

Yep your going to get alot of looks and you will have trouble getting help from some people because of your age but nothing you can do for that except get old and I would not wish that too badly because it will come before you know it. Realize also that alot of the looks are there because of the age of the car and it may not all be directed toward you.

Post some pictures of you car if that is possible. I am sure everyone would like to see it. Let me know what you come up with on the #s, and make sure you ask any other questions, there are alot of guys here that are real knowledgabe on the early stuff.

Other kids my age thought that I was pretty crazy, too for driving a 1931 Dodge coupe or a 1936 Dodge sedan for my every day car when I was 16 and 17 years old, but they always wanted to ride in them. They were all buying muscle cars.

Sounds like your car may have come Dodge Blue and Black, originally if that is what is under the other layers.

I bought my first 32 DL when I was 20 and drove it every day even though everybody else flexed their muscle power. Now that I'm old(er), I envy your youth every time I grunt as I wriggle under my latest DL. :)

Anyway...seems like you've met some ageless friends here!

I bought my '29 when I was 15 in 1971.....I was inspired by another high school kid who had a '29 Model A sedan...I just liked the lines of the older cars. Yeah, I got looks too like an old fart (like I am now) should be driving that car, not a kid... or maybe I snuck the car from my grandad's garage, but as Keiser said all the other kids wanted to ride in it, especially when I was "cruising the strip", wooden wheels and all! As Phil said I envy your youth as I work on her now; I never look forward to initially getting under that chassis!

Glad you decided to keep your car original....there are many people a lot older than you that do not realize they have a piece of history in their hands and modify it to where it cannot be changed back. Good luck with your project (and the title issue)....wish you the best with it.