Could THIS Have Become a Riviera?

Guest ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof,

If I remember correctly this vehicle was sitting inside the Sloan Museum last year during the '08 Ntionals @ Flint--- I believe this was labeled and marked as an exercise in bringing back the LaSalle nameplate--- at least I think I remember seeing "LaSalle" scripts on the vehicle, and I believe there was a small story board by the car stating such--- a design exercise in what a modern LaSalle would look like-- I forget the year they had posted the car as being designed.

I'm not sure about the Phantom, but the concept car that became the 63 Riv was originally intended as a new LaSalle for Cadillac, the design of the parking light housings even looked like the late 30s LaSalle grille. Cadillac did not want it so Buick grabbed it, the rest is history.

In one of my older magazines, I have pictures of the basic '63 Riviera but with nameplates for Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Cadillac (LaSalle.) Each has a unique grill and unique bumpers. Each car company would have probably used its own engine/tranny combo.

It would have been interesting had Cadillac not have passed on the deal.

Would Buick have also passed if it weren't for the fact that it had dropped from #3 in sales in '55 to #9 and was anxious for a new product to boost its sagging sales.

Hi Guys,

I do remember Motor Trend giving this car a pictorial back in the 80's I think.

It was a surprise for Bill Mitchel from his design team, as he was to retire,

combining some 30's motifs, when he got his start, and adding flair from Rivs, etc.

My buddy and I tried to figure how we could make a comp. We decided to combine a boattail Riv to a Pontiac GP, and never got it done.

Nice to see the pic again, and I did see the real deal in Flint.

Dale