Brakes Failed!

John Gelfer

I took a nice shake down cruise last week in my 1928 Gardner. It ran fine, but on the way home, the brake pedal went almost to the floor, with very little braking going on. I crawled underneath today and discovered why. A coupling that connects the brake rods for the front wheels is missing. I have two balls at the end of shafts that are just hanging in air, instead of being coupled together. I have included photos below. Any idea on how to come up with a part to fix this?

post-55507-14313811248_thumb.jpg

post-55507-143138112484_thumb.jpg

What I would do is to take someone with you in a car and "walk" your last roads of travel from when you first felt that "no brakes" feeling and look for that part. It probably would not have gone far off the road when you lost it since it does not spin. There may be other parts that will interchange, but I would definitely look for the lost piece. Otherwise you are looking at a custom piece being made. Is there another one of those pieces on the car? Send a photo if there is and maybe one of us out here has your "missing link" (pun intended).

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think that I can picture what it looks like in my mind. Do you have an instruction book for your Gardener that might show that piece? Since it was greased, maybe there is a picture on a lube chart of the car.

I too like the idea of retracing your steps to find the original, first.

Finding someone with a similar vintage Gardner to photograph it or get someone in the area of that Gardner owner if the owner can't or won't photo it himself.

Its hard to see from the photo where the line of action is to twist these brake rods. Is it simply up past the axle? Looks like the two rod ends don't touch each other and they're held in line by this coupling, so keiser31's sketch is sort of right.

Yes, I think Keiser is correct. From what I remember from getting intimate with the underside of the car, that piece does look a lot like what I think was there. I'm going to contact a friend in St. Paul who has a similar car to see if we can fabricate a copy.

Where did your drawing come from, Keiser? I hope it is a part that is available some where.

Yes, I think Keiser is correct. From what I remember from getting intimate with the underside of the car, that piece does look a lot like what I think was there. I'm going to contact a friend in St. Paul who has a similar car to see if we can fabricate a copy.

Where did your drawing come from, Keiser? I hope it is a part that is available some where.

That drawing of that part is just a very quick sketch that came from my head/imagination. I just tried to picture what the heck would hold those two ball pieces together/apart. So, that is what I think it should have looked like. I always wanted to be a parts fabricator. Are you trying to tell me that I got it close or right? Well...I'll be dipped!! I guess that is one of the reasons why I would love for some restoration shop to hire me. I don't have a clue as to whether that part is or ever was available. I could probably make that part if I had the right tools.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Wow, I am impressed with both your interpolation and drafting skills. The figuring out and detective work required for this hobby, can be frustrating, but using your brain is good, and when you finally get it RIGHT, it sure is a wonderful feeling. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence and the pat on the back...I LOVE when that happens!

Just an idea.....when retracing your route looking for the part consider dragging a large magnet or a metal detector. A sweeper magnet is used by roofers to get roofing nails off the driveway after a job. It's about 3'wide and has rollers. Sort of looks like a floor broom. That's my trick for finding parts that get lost on the gravel driveway.

Guest frazer51

This drawing of the "missing link" is very simular to a Model A Ford shock link, except that the holes for the balls are 180 degrees from each other on the Ford item. A replacement link could be made, but bear in mind this part needs to be able to stop your car and not fail or fall off.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trainguy

My bet is that is a brake equalizer.The car has 2 wheel brakes, one ball is for the rh brake and the other lh and a rod pulls in the middle,thus "equalizing" the brakes.My 22 rickenbacker has a simelar device.

My bet is that is a brake equalizer.The car has 2 wheel brakes, one ball is for the rh brake and the other lh and a rod pulls in the middle,thus "equalizing" the brakes.My 22 rickenbacker has a simelar device.

Got a photo of the part on your car? Maybe they are the same.

Guest trainguy

Sorry the car is in storage.I think my Rick had clevis pins instead of balls it has been 10 year since restoration..My mistake your car most likly has 4 whl bks. but the equalizer is my best guess. Phil

This drawing of the "missing link" is very simular to a Model A Ford shock link, except that the holes for the balls are 180 degrees from each other on the Ford item. A replacement link could be made, but bear in mind this part needs to be able to stop your car and not fail or fall off.

Mmmm....you mean I "designed" a part that they already make??? Oh well...I guess I am not as smart as I thought.

Guest abh3usn

Maybe someone who has the same year, model can post a pic of the missing piece.

I would modify the connection so that it does not fail or fall off in the future.

Since the ends are spherical, I assume the connection has to twist in otherwords, it's movement is not linear in order to opperate correctly. Why not design a similar piece but cut off the ball ends completely, and replace them with a bearing connected by all thread. This is how filght controls are designed in military aircraft. This would make a solid connection between both rods, however it would also allow for 360 degree movement. It would also be adjustable, I will see if I can find a picture to illustrate what I'm talking about.