'36 engine vs 37 engine

bobj49f2

Just want to make sure, is there any differences between a small '36 straight 8 and a '37 model? From searching this forum it seems the straight eights are basically the same but are there any subtle differences?

I just bought a low mileage '36 for my '37 and noticed some slight differences like they have different carburetors and a few other parts are slightly different.

I also got the transmission, both the engine and tranny were junk in my '37 so I am hoping this will be a very simple swap.

Here's a little more information about the engine:

I compared the valve covers and they're identical, I don't if that tell you anything but it's a start.

Here are some pictures. The first three are the old engine the last 3 are the "new" engine. Physically, to me, they look the same but the carbs are different , air cleaners look pretty close. The "new" engine doesn't have the spark plug cover but it does have the studs for one, obviously some one removed it:

post-63376-143138110838_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143138110841_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143138110844_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143138110846_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143138110849_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143138110853_thumb.jpg

The 36 engine is 233 cu. in. and develops 93 b.h.p..

The 37 engine was described as a new engine and is 248 cu. in. and develops 107 b.h.p.

The 36 is a further development of the 34/35 series 40 engine.

The 37 is a further development again, but more radical and is the motor with a few more changes, mainly water pump and engine mounts that ran in the specials until 1952.

Check the mounts, not sure that the 36 and 37 will be the same.

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I think an engine swap from a later year ( 38, 39, 40 or later ) would be easier and probably more desirable.

There seems to be a good market for 36 motors ( will fit into 34 and 35's ) so you shouldn't have any trouble selling or swapping that for a later motor

I looked over the engines tonight and they both look to have the same motor mounts and water pumps. I have the car on one side of my shop and the engine on the other, about 50 feet apart with shelving in between. I'll try this weekend to place the '36 engine next to the car and compare them side by side.

Are the differences in the design of the water pumps and motor mount very discernable? From what I was looking at tonight the mounts look the same and the water pumps also look the same. Maybe, hopefully, the guy I bought it from was mistaken and it's actually a '37 engine.

I'm a ways from installing the engine, I only got it now because I didn't know if I'd get another chance to find one in this shape and for the money, $400.

Where do you find the number? I could only find a casting number 1290710 and what looks like a dash and the upper half of number 1. This number was behind the starter.

Should be stamped into a milled boss on the crank case between the distributor and timing cover, just below the side plate cover.

I couldn't find one recently on a 36 motor ( Century ) and eventually found it stamped vertically on the milled area just in front of the side cover plate ( about where that oil filter is on your 36 motor ).

I've gone over the whole passenger side of engine and cannot find any number other than the 1290710-1, since I took the starter off I can see it's a "1". I scraped all of the crud I could off the engine and couldn't find anything.

Also, while looking over the motors and comparing them I noticed the "new" has an oil filter canister on the passenger side. It looks like an add on unit. On old Ford some came without oil filters, since they didn't do much in a flathead the owner just changed their oil every 1,000 miles or so. Was the oil filter an add on for Buicks too?

post-63376-143138111228_thumb.jpg

post-63376-143138111231_thumb.jpg

1290710-01 is the casting number. Not the same as the part number for the block or the serial number.

Was the oil filter an add on for Buicks too?
Yes. Oil Filters were not standard in the 30's. Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

I couldn't find one recently on a 36 motor ( Century ) and eventually found it stamped vertically on the milled area just in front of the side cover plate ( about where that oil filter is on your 36 motor ).

Eureka! I found the engine number! It was where you said you found yours, on the milled area just in front of the side cover. They sure hid that bugger good.

Post your engine numbers, Dave Corbin will be able to ID them.

My books show 1936 Series 40 motors ending with number 43166224 and 1937 Series 40 starting at 43166225 and ending with 43396936.

Well, now I know for sure I have a '36. The number is 43137307

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but I think an engine swap from a later year ( 38, 39, 40 or later ) would be easier and probably more desirable.

There seems to be a good market for 36 motors ( will fit into 34 and 35's ) so you shouldn't have any trouble selling or swapping that for a later motor

I'm so far away from having the car ready to install an engine I think I'll post this engine in the classified on this site for an even trade for a '37 and up engine and tranny. If I get a chance I see if I can get this engine started so I can prove it's a good engine. If I can't find a decent trade when I need to install the engine I'll just go ahead and use the '36. It really doesn't matter to me if it's a little weaker engine. I just want something to move the car so I can look cool as I'm cruising down the road.

So far, as far as I can tell, the mounting points look the same on both engines, I won't know until I take the old engine out and set them side by side.

The 1928-41 Master List of Chassis part page 91-A shows the same image for 1936-37. A quick look at part numbers shows some the same others different. Others here will know if the 36 gbox will bolt up to a 37 engine.

Similarly the 1928-41 Master List of Chassis part page 91-A shows the same image for 1936-37 clutch.

The scanned pages are too large to upload

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)