Flowmaster muffler

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

In keeping with the mild customization on my `64, I will be putting an aftermarket muffler on the old girl.:eek: I have used Flowmaster mufflers in the past on another project and enjoy the sound they provide. While I know they don`t make a Riviera specific unit, the do make a double in double out unit that fits the Camaro/Firebird. I have checked the dimensions and it appears eveything will fit. Has anyone used such a beastie ? :confused:

As a sidebar, this car , while solid ,lacks the bones to make it in the restoration world : low optioned,previous ownners handywork etc. but will still carry on and function as a great mild custom for many years to come. I add this sidebar so my fellow enthusists don`t think I am performing some unthinkable act on a pristine example.;)

Cheers, Scott

I have friends that have used Flowmasters , one in each corner between the rear end and the bumper but dont know abut the one you speak of . I do know that there was a Camero muffler of this vintage that could be used like you want but not made by Flowmaster . It would have been a stock sound - and just a little smaller then the original - I think it would work fine but a little louder . I would guess it would be a two chamber ?

The muffler you're refering to is part #42582. Two inlets, one on each end, and two outlets, one on each end. The only problem that I forsee is that all four inlets/outlets are 2.5" in diameter. The standard Riv has much smaller pipes, the 65 GS has larger ones, but none are 2.5"

Guest musclecarfan65

my custom exhaust system has only 2 flowmaster "hushpower" silencers (1 for each side (L+R)). i am very pleased with them because they are very flat and produce a grumbling sound like the chris craft motorboats ;-). quality is also very good :-)

I was very happy with a pair of Magnaflows about 8in behind the tips on my '64 but I cut a TA kit to pieces and spliced in new pipe to do it. I believe a 2nd Gen Camaro crossflow is the application you're looking for and you'll just have to either upgrade the pipes or use some adapters.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest richkcmo

I have the Flowmaster 42582 and love it, you can usually find a used one on ebay or craiglist but I prefer new with a warranty so I got bought from Flowmaster directly here. Flowmaster 42582, or you can try one of the sponsors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.