Labor Day Parade

Guest rodney

Hey Folks,

My car was in a local Labor Day parade Monday. I took my wife of 22 years with me (possible mistake). A friend who was in front of me drove his 1941 Super convertible and I followed with my 1951 Roadmaster sedan. I thought for sure the Super would be a big hit and I thought it was neat to have such nice Buicks a decade apart. The big hit was the Camaro behind us. I don't have a problem with that as people like what they like and the Camaro was a nice car.

My wife says that she feels old in the Buick and would like to have something a little more modern and sexy (i.e. Mustang). I can't afford another car and I would never get rid of the Roadmaster. I really like having my wife with me at car events. Help! Any suggestions will be appreciated. She balks at going for a ride in the country or going for ice cream because she is afraid the Buick will break down.

Rodney,

I own a 41' Roadmaster convertible and receive thumbs-up and "great looking car" from people of all ages, I love driving it and do so as often as I can. Sure, its not fast or "cool" sounding, but the sleek lines and elegant looks beat anything else on the road.

Congrats on having your car in the parade.

Don't take the response personal. Everyone has their own favorites. I know my Riv isn't my wifes first, second, or even third choice but she still very much enjoys going on long and short trips in it. I am fortunate to have someone that fully supports my hobby and my personal choice of car but she still reminds me which models she likes more and I respect that.

I can understand my wife liking a 55 Chevy more or perhaps wanting me to build a modified performance Riviera as in something that creates a little more adrenaline than a stock car. I'll probably do that someday just to help keep her interest.

Having said that when my wife brings up the subject, I just tell her if she sells her horses, she can buy whatever kind of car she wants and then the subject is dropped. :D

My wife doesn't comment much one way or the other about my Buick hobby. She just jumps in whatever Buick I decide to take. Her enjoyment comes from the Buick people and the wives who have become some of her best friends. While I look forward to seeing the Buicks and talking to the owners, she enjoys the shopping and conversations with the women.

If she shows any interest in owning a Buick herself, it would be a 1970 Yellow GSX. She always comments on how she would like to own 'one of those.'

Glad your wives are supportive. Too bad the 51 is getting a bum rap. Chances are "labor" in the late 50's most likely was driving that exact car. And although it's a sedan, it's still sweet. And chances are you'll get less exposure to the skin damaging rays of the sun in that baby, thus keeping your wife looking beautiful too.

Have you experienced breakdowns in it before that she is concerned? Usually those cars are ultra reliable. But hey, maybe a nice 62 or 63 skylark convertible will fit her bill for something smaller and sexy. There is a fellow in Buffalo with a black one which sports a red interior and a 4 speed stick. Damn nice car! And it's finished with a set of Buick Ralleys which give it a whole different appearance. Gotta see if I can find a picture of it.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Guest Straight eight

Let's step back and look at that Roadmaster Sedan. Lotsa kids get a big kick out of "Gangster white walls" and lots of em have never seen fender skirts.

How about a racoon tail on that roof top antenna?

They also get a big kick out of musical horns. Not the ones with keyboards, but the self contained compressor and rotating cam shaft. They play just one tune like The Campbells are coming, and another plays the trumpet call for the horse races. All these things seem to entertain the crowd.

You might also get some wrapped hard candy, and let her throw the candy at the crowd.

On the 4th of July as well as labor day, get small flags on sticks and fasten them to the antenna, and vent windows with tape. Maybe you can rig a couple on the hood ornament.

All is not lost.

just my 2 cents worth.:)

Granted, you stated you can't afford another car, but there are some neat collectibles that don't cost a lot of money. Would a Reatta work for her? There are many out there for under $5k and, being a 2 seater, things don't come much sexier. They can have issues, but they have a fairly bulletproof drivetrain.

My wife is in her early 40s and, not only does she support my Buick addiction, she encourages and finances it. Last I knew, her favourite was probably our '41 Special. She likes how quiet it is and it certainly does attract attention.

Good luck, and keep holding your head high. That big straight 8 is a nice smooth engine and there probably isn't a much better highway car around. Maybe you need to take a little trip in it, perhaps a romantic getaway, even if it is only 50 or 100 miles away. So long as the car performs well, it will give confidence in its ability and it will give you an opportunity to create some fond memories with the car. Perhaps even getting away from your local area will show how much people appreciate seeing the car as well.

JohnD1956 - One time I stopped to buy gas and the battery died. I keep the battery on a trickle charge and no problems since. Thanks for the picture of the Skylark but I really am partial to the Roadmaster.

I think my wife misses the point. Buicks from the late 40's through early 50's were understated elegance. I've always believed that in the GM pecking order, Buick was for people who had money but really didn't need/want to show it. I kid with my wife and tell her it's a "chick magnet." I no longer take my wife to shows because she makes me give her a dollar every time an elderly gentleman comes up to tell me a story about how his father or grandfather had a car just like it. It eats into my gas money! I wiil admit though that the last time I took her to a show, she rolled on the ground because a guy came up to me and asked if I was the original owner. I'm 48. I had a minor stroke a few months ago, geez I must look worse than I thought. :)

Hey Thriller,

Great suggestions, I would love to get my wife a Reatta but she actually loves the car she has. She drives a 2000 Neon that has over a 160,000 miles. It has gone where few Neons have gone before.

I really am going to push for a getaway in the Roadmaster. I think it would be great fun. I have a wine festival we plan to attend in a couple weeks. The Buick it is! Can you think of a better car to attend a wine festival in? Plenty of room for beverage storage.

I never had any complaint from anyone that rode in my 15 Buick. It is both old, and cool, :cool: as it was the "Corvette" of 1915.

Of course I got rid of my wife the first time she opened her mouth about my vintage farm, and construction equipment collection, never mind the cars. I figured she would never fit in around here. Of course she helped out by doing a lot of stupid stuff on her own.

I have a gal that never complains about any of my collection now for the last 9 or so years. ;) Dandy Dave!