How the heck do you get the wheel bearings in??

Gary_N

OK, as usual, nothing ever goes smoothly when replacing things, especially when you're near the end. In this case, it's Yoda's (my '50) rear axle bearings. They came out rather easily once I made a puller. But getting them in is like impossible.

The new bearings are from Japan; look very nice and measure exactly the same as the ones I took out, 70.64 mm. Of course I did use a Japanese Mic. Is that cheating?? Anyway......I've been pounding and pounding with no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and happy Labor Day!

Gary

Gary

If the housing is clean and lubricated the bearings "should" just tap in. Try a test fit of the old bearing. If you get it started a little cocked it will bind and never go in. Be sure you did not mar the housing from pounding--a bigger hammer is not always needed.

Willie

Willie, I should just PM you since you know all! And although Lamar has taken up the flag of enhancing my reputation as the "Bull", and although, yes, I like the BFH and my Plasma Torch, I was in fact trying to use some finesse with the bearing install, with the key word being trying.

I did manage to get the bearing wedged since my idea of light tapping is somewhat confused. I had one side in a 1/16th too far. So, with some "light" tapping on the other side I managed to get it lined up and it then slid into place with not much effort. Hopefully I didn't hurt anything since I don't want to pull it out. The other side, now that I'm more educated in these matters was a breeze!

By the way, the CAR bearings look very nice. I think I'm OK with Japanese bearings!

Gary

Willie, I should just PM you since you know all! And although Lamar has taken up the flag of enhancing my reputation as the "Bull", and although, yes, I like the BFH and my Plasma Torch, I was in fact trying to use some finesse with the bearing install, with the key word being trying.

I did manage to get the bearing wedged since my idea of light tapping is somewhat confused. I had one side in a 1/16th too far. So, with some "light" tapping on the other side I managed to get it lined up and it then slid into place with not much effort. Hopefully I didn't hurt anything since I don't want to pull it out. The other side, now that I'm more educated in these matters was a breeze!

By the way, the CAR bearings look very nice. I think I'm OK with Japanese bearings!

Gary

Gary

First of all, I don't know all and I learn more than I contribute from these forums. My second point is while I will respond to a PM, taking it private deprives others of the information. Third, keep trying, even if you have to walk away for awhile (don't ask how many times I have had to walk away from a flared fitting). Fourth Mike should have responded to your problem since I showed him how to do it--how to do it wrong. Fifth, the BFH has gotten me in trouble and cost some time and money...another reason I have resisted buying a Plasma Torch.

Glad it is going together.

Willie

Willie:

Well, I hate to say that I spent a whole day with that wheel bearing. I was afraid to hit it with anything but rubber mallet and wood block. And, that's all it took to get it wedged. Sometimes I wish I was working on a car that had some value since 'Yoda' isn't worth that much. Maybe all this cussing should be directed toward more of a dream car. Actually I've been trying to get him ready for a spot at the Hershey Corral. But then, I may not have the nerve to sell him. Now if I had a '47 Roadmaster Convertible to work on, I wouldn't mind all the aggravation!

As far as forums go, this one is the best. I'm on a few others but this is my fav. And, a Plasma Torch is your friend....really...unless you're removing some pieces of a floor and don't realize that there may some frame underneath and then maybe you might melt some of that frame......well......I've heard that anyway....somewhere....but not in my shop.....

Thanks for the help everyone.

Gary

Ben, here's a recent shot of 'Yoda' in all his glory. He's been on the lift for a month. I'm trying to make him a little safer for long trips so I'm rebuilding the front end including new springs and shocks; replacing the brake lines and master; bearings all the way around; re-doing the brakes including in the cylinders; new radial WWW tires etc., etc. A greasy and expensive job. I'm sure you can relate.

Gary

post-36372-143138108077_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I need to install a press fit part I wrap it in plastic and put it in the freezer for a few weeks. I warm the area where the part will be installed with a light bulb or heat gun. The part will go in much easier. I once installed a bushing in my 1950 Pontiac steering gear. I was able to install it using only my hands. It was simple to locate the bushing without damage. When temperatures equalized the bushing was installed perfectly. Good luck with your car.