Rims for wood spoked wheels for 1925 Maxwell touring car

Guest scarab51

Guest scarab51

Hello, I have a Maxwell Touring car, with engine number C555037. The plate with the Body Number is missing.

From my 1926 edition of the National Used Car Market Report, ( Red Book), I am guessing this is a 1925 model, built by Chrysler.

Is this correct?

This car has wood spoke wheels that look like they use a 20 inch tire. They are OK,

BUT the rims are rough. I need to replace all 4 of them.

What years Maxwell use these rims? Also, are there Chrysler, or any other cars, that have rims that interchange.

Any help will post-62811-143138107289_thumb.jpg

post-62811-143138107292_thumb.jpg

post-62811-143138107294_thumb.jpg

post-62811-143138107297_thumb.jpg be much appreciated!

Guest scarab51

Oh,

I should mention that the wheels are 20 1/4 inches in diameter, and about 3 inches wide.

The rims are about 21 1/2 inches in outside diameter, and about 3 7/8 inches wide.

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Bickell

Doug; I'm working on a 1925 Maxwell 4 door sedan, the tires we have on it are 6.00 X 20's; looking at your rim it appears that they could be abrasive blasted, and coated with a rust preventive paint. The tires and tubes could be protected by a rubber boot that is available for many of the old tires. Just a thought and suggestion.

The steel rim as Bill has pointed out can be cleaned by abrasive blasting or similar, even rust holes / cracks can be weld repaired. The real problem is the condition of the wood spokes, are they cracked / split or loose in the rim. If any of these conditions exist then they need to be replaced; finding someone with these skills is increasingly difficult.

For what it`s worth many of the Chrysler/Plymouth/Desoto cars of this era share the same wheel, but of course if they are old then will be suffering the same problems.

Maxwell did use solid steel wheels as an option for your model and if you look around ebay etc. they are still available.

The steel rim as Bill has pointed out can be cleaned by abrasive blasting or similar, even rust holes / cracks can be weld repaired. The real problem is the condition of the wood spokes, are they cracked / split or loose in the rim. If any of these conditions exist then they need to be replaced; finding someone with these skills is increasingly difficult.

For what it`s worth many of the Chrysler/Plymouth/Desoto cars of this era share the same wheel, but of course if they are old then will be suffering the same problems.

Maxwell did use solid steel wheels as an option for your model and if you look around ebay etc. they are still available.

I believe the only Chrysler product rim that will fit is Chrysler. 1925 was when Chrysler and Maxwell were both produced by Chrysler. The Dodge Brothers, Plymouths and DeSotos were not quite in the picture, yet.

Thanks Keiser but the Chrysler 50 / 58 and Plymouth U were derived from the Maxwell and share many similar mechanical components as well as running gear.

You probably will not find Plymouth 30U with 20" tires. I believe that they came with 19". Hence my previous statement. I suppose they could have used that size in 1930, but I doubt it.

Guest scarab51

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your information. The wheels on my Maxwell are in decent shape. The rims and hubs are good, and the spokes are sound.

The problem is with the detachable rims. The rim in the photo is marginal, as the rust on it is very deep. One of the others is in the same condition, and the other two are so ragged with rust that they are not useable at all. It seems that soon after 1925, the wheels on the Chrysler cars went to 19 inches and then 18 inches.

By the way, is the serial number on your car the same as the engine number? On my car, the serial number plate is missing, so I have only the engine number to go by, in determining the year.

My car is a touring model. It is missing the body from behind the front doors, as it was made into a pickup in the 1930s. It is rough, but restorable. It seems not to have had many miles on it. But the instrument cluster is missing, so i do not know for sure.

I would love to see any pics of your car.

I have a nice 1925 Maxwell owner's manual, and could make a copy for you, if you need one.

Regards,

Doug

Guest Bill Bickell

Doug; I've helping a neighbor for the past couple years put his back together ( apart since 1974); send me your email address and I'll forward a couple pics; at least I'll try. Bill

Guest scarab51

Dear Bill,

Thank you for your reply! I took mine apart in 1981, in order to get it out of the shed that it was in. I have saved some detailed pictures (from ebay) of a 1923 Maxwell that I can send to you.

I need pictures of the instrument panel, and some other details that changed from 1923 to 1925.

My email address is scarab51@localnet.com.

Sincerely,

Doug

Your rims appear to be Hayes No. 280, size is 20 x 4". These rims came on:

Chrysler 4 cylinder 1925-26

Chrysler 60 1926-27

Maxwell all 1925

Nearest adaptable interchange would be Hayes No. 220 also 20 x 4". You would have to move the lug positions as these are 4 lug rims. These came on:

Durant disc wheel 1925-25

Flint 40 (part) 1924

Flint Z-18 1925

Overland 93,93A 1925-26

Willys-Knight 70 1925-26

Star disc wheel 1924-26

The recommendation that you do everything possible to restore the rims you have is a good one.

• 1 year later...
Guest Slingshot

I am new to this site, so I will probably get this wrong somehow and hope you will bear with me. The Maxwell wheel problem interested me because I have 1926 Chrysler wheels, which are identical to the 1925 Maxwell. In fact, if anyone's interested, I have driveshaft, rear axle and springs (complete with wheels and tires) even have most of the brake linkage. I would sell it cheap or even donate it to the right project...anything to keep it from going to China as scrap and coming back here as crap. davemaset@yahoo.com

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Doug I Have a 26 chrysler which is really a 25 maxwell if there is any thing that I can help you with let me know. Also I would love to have a copy of your manual I will be willing to pay for it Thanks Bill

I find this post most interesting. My dad and I restored (mostly my dad as I was a teen ager) a 1925 Maxwell Touring in the late '60's. One of the things that I remember doing was cutting and welding the top of a 55 gallon drum to make a trough and filled it with linseed oil and firing the oil with charcoal for several hours each to bring the wood back to "life". They turned out beautiful and the local high school art teacher painted a yellow stripe on each spoke. Pretty snazzy old buggy!!

Dad is gone and unfortunately so is the Maxwell. When he restored the car he lived in Virden, Il and ran a Western Auto Associate Store. He drove the car in local parades and I took it to some area shows. After he retired the car followed him to Canton, Il and ultimately was stored at my home in South Bend, IN. It was still in very good condition with the exception of coil and spark issues. Dad sold the car before he died and stood in my drive and cried as it was trailered away. The last I knew in the mid 80's the car was back in West Centeral Il as I was interested in trying to buy it back. Unfortunately the owner at the time thought it was a Duesnburg and had it priced accordingly!

I do have a couple of pictures and would be happy to make copies if anyone is interested. PM me with your e-mail address.

By the way does anyone happen to know where the car is today? It was dark blue with black fenders.

Merry Christmas,

Gary

Hi I too am in northern In. I have a 26 chrysler (MAXWELL) the car was purchased In the Laport aera about 10 years ago, Paint is maroon and black it is a 2dr. I would love to see your pictures. My car is now stored in Walkerton In. Bill

Guest skram1981

Hello all New to site. Just purchased a 1916 Maxwell touring 25. New to the Maxwells so just looking for some interesting ideas and info. In the process of making it run. Everything seems to be there as far as wiring, however the battery or " dry cell" is missing. Anyone know what can be used in place if anything? Also have a wood spoke deteiriation problem on 1 wheel. Looking forward to learning more about these auto's.