Comparison Test: New Buick LaCrosse vs. Lexus ES

Centurion

Here's a key passage in the review:

What at first appeared to be a put-up-or-shut-up proposition for Buick has resulted in a thorough embarrassment for Lexus. The two entry-level luxury sedans are effectively tied in our ratings of performance and fuel, but every place else — evaluation scores, feature content and price — the 2010 Buick LaCrosse walks away from the 2009 Lexus ES 350 with a decisive 17-point victory.

We're not saying the Lexus ES 350 is not a fine automobile; we're just saying its time has passed as a standard by which entry-level luxury sedans are to be measured. For that, you must consider the 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS as the new leader in its class.

At first we questioned GM's strategy, not only with the LaCrosse itself but also with the notion of Buick as a genuine competitor for Lexus. But after this comparison, we have no doubt that the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is a game-changing, brand-defining automobile that will go far to both revitalize Buick and promote the new General Motors.<!--QuoteEnd-->

I've tried to test drive one for about three weeks now and keep missing my opportunity. I work for a large automotive retailer and we have two Buick Dealerships in the Raleigh Area about 2 hours from home for me. So far only the one has got them and when I was last there for work their first Lacrosse's were still in transport. Today I was at our other dealership and they haven't received one yet. Both our stores are very excited about this car especially since they are losing Pontiac. They are counting on this car for some volume.

Now Buick just has to make sure the general public knows how good this car is!!!!

Groan.

I don't trust any review by any of the pundits and magazines. They are agenda driven - period.

What I want to see are in your face advertising across the board. At the evening news, during fall programming events, sporting events.

How many Lexus models can a person buy? Maybe 6-7. Cadillac does not have a flagship car that can compete with the LS430.

It would take both Buick and Cadillac to equal Lexus line up and this is a line up that is admittedly affluent but limited. As I have said, I can not afford a new LaCrosse without sacrificing in other areas.

So while it's nice to see these reviews, this is how the game is played. I browsed through Motor Trends 2010 Cars Review edition and it said that the LuCerne was the reason GM died and for the LaCrosse it said just the opposite "reason for hope" or some such nonsense.

Blah blah blah. Just build the car, promote it right and see what happens. I see a lot of Enclaves out there. But although critics raved over them new, the buzz has dropped off, as it will with the LaCrosse.

You know, it's frustrating to post positive news about Buicks here -- and receive cynical responses. One would hope that Buick enthusiasts would like to see Buick promoted. With the constant drumbeat of negativity from the media, I appreciate anything positive and constructive about Buick and its future.

I understand that positive reviews are not the complete solution for Buick and GM, but we've got to start somewhere in terms of building the brand image.

These kinds of reviews may not mean much to some of us, but the fact is that many people do read them and are influenced in some manner by them. As I understand it, Edmunds has a history of being almost relentlessly pro-import and anti-domestic, making this new Lacrosse review all the more significant.

Yes, we'd all like to see a dramatic new Riviera priced under $30,000, but the fact is that we'll never see the unique Buicks we hope for if the brand fails to regain traction in the mainstream sedan market. The Lacrosse is a huge step in the right direction, and I disagree that the buzz will necessarily drop off.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

When I did dealer training on the Cadillac SRX, they had a Lexus RX300 for comparison in the handling course. As the SRX was really targeted at the BMX X5, the Lexus came off as decidedly "wimpy" in comparison. It might have had excellent fit/finish/etc., but when you trompled the throttle at the start of the handling course, the exhaust told the tale "You really want to do this???!!!" as the skinny tires squalled in the turns. A nice vehicle for the intended market demographic it generally serves, but it was outclassed in the comparison on the handling course.

And then there's that great advertising for the new Audi SportUte. The kids come out from school to see identical RX350s lined up at the curb, all the same color, with mothers waving to get their kids' attention . . . as the guy and his buddy immediately see his parent in a black Audi drive up. The other kids are left in confusion as the Audi drives off.

Edmunds has tended to wear "We like import cars" glasses over the years, as has CAR AND DRIVER. Some staffers wrote scathing reviews of the Olds Intrigue and even tried to talk another staffer from taking it across country to see family. What it appeared to amount to is that they did not want to test the car, the only one the dealer had had the rear spoiler added on it, and it was not an import. The other staffer, who took it across country, really liked the car and enjoyed it.

We had two 2010 LaCrosses, a crimson one and a silver one, both CXLs. The silver one is the only one left, now. I'll wait until we get more for stock to drive one, unless I can get into the dealer training ride/drive activity. The car does look fantastic and looks good in all colors. I suspect the 2010 LaCrosse, as did the Enclave, bring in a new breed of Buick customer and some conquest sales from Lexus and such.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Sounds like a very good review to me. This seems to be a complete 180 from the usual favoritism towards foreign cars. I also agree with the puffy A pillars. If they are anything like the A pillars on a 2006 Monte Carlo, they are very obtrusive and annoying. I don't see why they need to be so puffy that they block visability. My other comment is that aside from the Buick grill, the rest of the exterior looks like a Lexus clone. Why can't they use some retro styling cues? Hopefully the LaCrosse will be a step in the right direction, with better steps following.

Well said Brian!!!!!

On my commute to work today I approached my last right turn in one of the most affluent areas of Iowa. Next to me was a LEXUS 2 door model in chrome silver with big factory mags - a beautiful car.

But most important - sitting in this two door four seat car was a salt/pepper haired man, in business casual, I'd estimate 55 years old. Affluent, I'll bet his wife has the four door whether it's an out-of-fashion SUV or a sedan.

It could just as easily be a gracefully aging baby boomer lady - empty nester - who wants a coupe. Honda and Toyota have the younger crowd covered. I'm doubt Lexus sells more then 10,000 of these a year and periodically stops production of an aging platform and reinvents it. Think SC400/ SC 300 variants.

Cadillac has a 2 door eye candy car for boomers. Chrysler had the Crossfire, a boutique car, a halo car that I personally liked. Mazda has the Miata convertible which sells to a 35 to 65 year old market.

Why is Buick so reluctant to build a 2 door model?

Guest THEHKP7M13
Yes, we'd all like to see a dramatic new Riviera priced under $30,000, but the fact is that we'll never see the unique Buicks we hope for if the brand fails to regain traction in the mainstream sedan market. The Lacrosse is a huge step in the right direction, and I disagree that the buzz will necessarily drop off.

How about a sub $30,000 Lacrosse or Regal coupe now that Pontiac and its G6 ARE DEAD? And a $40,000 Riviera off a FWD platform...YOU NEED CARS THAT SHOW YOUR ALIVE AND CREATE SOME BUZZ, SHOWROOM TRAFFIC, AND DIVISION/COMPANY PRIDE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...NO ON EASPIRES TO OWN A SEDAN!!!!

Why is Buick so reluctant to build a 2 door model?

OR 2...AMEN!

Mercedes Benz and BMW both have smart 2 door sedans to offer as well as sports convertibles and sedans. Even Chevy has 2 2 door coupes/sports cars in the Corvette and Camaro, both icons, one well over 50 years old.

I think the Riviera nameplate resonates with everyone. Besides, it still sounds distinctive. "Riviera - the new timeless classic from Buick" Park it next to a 63 Riviera in a shroud of London fog!

Ford has managed to keep the Mustang through thick and thin.

The Buick GM will be gone in 1-2 years. There has been a revolving door there for awhile. I remember Shannon (?) as the last one.

They don't have any influence over what gets built. They are told what to build at GM. I call it life support.

Guest El_Diablo

Every "big" car brand needs to have 2-door models. The best way for Buick would be to buy Audi. The S5 is AWESOME! I park next to one every day at work - and I WANT IT - NOW! :D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaihIgML92o&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaihIgML92o&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object height="344" width="425">

</object>

bb-s5-01.jpg

bb-s5-03.jpg

bb-s5-02.jpg

Why doesn't Buick build such models?

It's very unlikely that we will see a 2-door Buick of any sort until GM is operating solidly in the black and Buick can regain some of its lost market share.

There is no way that the corporation can afford to invest in a relatively low volume model for Buick at the present time. The best we can hope for is that the mainstream sedans and crossovers will sell in sufficient volume that the corporation can then divert its focus to some more unique models.

Things could have gone far differently had GM not starved Buick for new product for so many years, but the fact is that the new GM is definitely in survival mode, and that certainly influences the near-term product outlook.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

There is no way that the corporation can afford to invest in a relatively low volume model for Buick at the present time. The best we can hope for is that the mainstream sedans and crossovers will sell in sufficient volume that the corporation can then divert its focus to some more unique models.

Things could have gone far differently had GM not starved Buick for new product for so many years, but the fact is that the new GM is definitely in survival mode, and that certainly influences the near-term product outlook.

Good points. The starvation issue is unfortunate. What sort of volume does the Corvette have? Do they make money on them?

The other thing for me is I'm looking ahead. Granted, my children are growing, implying getting them into the back seat will get harder, but in another 5-9 years, I won't be ferrying them around as they move on into their own lives. At that point, my requirements will be different, implying that the need for four door practical transportation will change.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest variable pitch

About two weeks ago our local dealer received their first new Lacrosse, a dark metallic red beauty with leather interior. Sure was nice, walked around it for some time. I didn't have time to drive it, but they sure offered. They were hoping to get an AWD model sometime. It would be nice to see a two door model, but as Centurion has said, probably not for some time yet.

Also, it's amazing to me how scant the GM dealer inventory is in my area! Just

nothing to really look at. I hope they're getting busy back east!

Guest Redwind89

Not here around Albany New York all the GM lots that I have gone by have very slim pickings of new cars. They all have a good amount of used cars. Two Buick dealerships got their first new Lacrosse's some time ago but, both sold really fast. One was an AWD red CXL and the other was a White CXS. Also in the paper here was an article about GM recalling some 3000 workers due to an increase in demand for cars and SUV.

Edited by Redwind89 (see edit history)

Besides not seeing them in Buick stores, I haven't seen 1 on the road. Neither are there any advertising on TV. I guess it's just another one of Buick's best kept secrets!:eek: