Meadow Brook Concours Best of Class -- BCA Member's '59 Buick

Centurion

BCA Member Tom Sidoti was invited to display his freshly restored 1959 Buick Electra 225 convertible last weekend at the prestigious Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance. Tom's car was entered in one of the featured classes -- "Fins and Chrome: The Convertibles of 1959".

Forum member and BCA Member Greg Cockerill worked for months to nominate suitable entries for this class, which included the following 1959 convertibles:

1959 Buick Electra 225

1959 Chevrolet Impala

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

1959 Pontiac Bonneville

1959 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight

1959 Ford Skyliner (retractable)

1959 Ford Thunderbird

1959 Edsel Corsair

1959 Mercury Monterey

1959 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury

1959 Dodge Royal Lancer D500

1959 DeSoto Adventurer

1959 Chrysler 300E

The class lacked only a 1959 Imperial to represent all of the Detroit nameplates that offered convertibles in 1959.

Greg has indicated that the quality of the cars in the class was exceptional, and the 1959 Buick was beautifully represented by Tom's class winning Electra 225.

Tom's car is among the most highly-optioned 1959 Buicks known, and was factory-equipped with the leather bucket seats, air conditioning, air ride suspension, automatic heater control, Triple Turbine transmission, Wonderbar radio, power vent windows, etc.

Tom has given me permission to share some of his photos here. Congratulations to Tom and to his restorer, Greg Cook, for their winning entry.

meadowbrook33.jpg

meadowbrook27_original.jpg

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Last year we took a tour there while at the Buick national in Flint on the Buick Pre War after tour. Cool place. From there we went to Hell, :eek: MI that is. And just to let you know, they sold ice cream to those who were just passing though. ;) Congrats on winning best of show. :D Dandy Dave!

Guest 70 Electra

Brian,

Thanks for starting this excellent post recognizing Tom Sidotti's recent award. The cars in this class were indeed outstanding, and included every American 1959 convertible except, as you've pointed out, the Imperial.

Speaking with Tom, I think it is fair to say that in addition to the satisfaction of winning the Best-In-Class award, he would be hard pressed to name a show that treated him better than Meadow Brook. Many first-timers to the event (both exhibitors and spectators) expect a frumpy, stuffy show and anticipate feeling out of place. I believe Tom will testify to the BCA & AACA community that he not only felt completely welcome, but met some really great folks among the other car owners, staff, and spectators. This is in addition to viewing some of the world's most exciting and valuable cars from all eras.

Bob Beck (aka BigDog), is another BCA member that participated in this year's show. Bob brought his outstanding 55 Century convertible that has been featured in Hemmings Classic Car magazine. Two years ago, Bob brought a beautiful 1957 Special convertible, for a 1957 convertible class that I helped put together. I believe Bob will concur that the show is a first class event for exhibitors, and spectators alike.

I encourage all car enthusiasts that have never been to Meadow Brook to give it a try--either as a spectator, volunteer, or participant. You will not be disappointed! (High quality cars can be nominated directly from the Meadow Brook website at Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance

BTW, I would like to point out that my good friend, automotive writer Tony Hossain, was equally responsible for putting together this large class of 1959 convertibles. We've worked together for several years on special themed classes at Meadow Brook.

Edited by 70 Electra (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
Guest Eddie Rocket

Don't know you Tom. Have the same car here in Dublin Ireland, Love to have looking like yours. Congratulations,

Brian Fortune, Dublin

Guest JMcConnaughey

Eddie,

You may not be aware that there is a special forum devoted to the 1959 Buick, the link for which is:

www.Buick-59.com :: Index

There is on official 1959 Division of the Buick Club of America and, between the Division and the forum, there are no better sources for information on your 1959 beauty. Please visit and, if you choose, join the '59 Division.

Best regards,

Jeff McConnaughey