Cold Air Intake

Guest 89ln3

Guest 89ln3

I was curious if anyone has made their own CAI or bought one that fits another car. I currently have a K&N cone off the throttle body good sounds and good performance. Getting about 28 to 30 mpg mixed driving

Guest CL_Reatta

This is what I made a while back.... consists of pvc, wrapped in insulating tape (to stop it from melting) which it lead into a little chamber I made which I had a bilge fan blowing into that compartment directly from outside cold air... from my MAT readings it did work, never dyno'd or anything to see if it did anything for performance.

post-46642-143138093955_thumb.jpg

Guest CL_Reatta

lol... i know it wouldn't win any shows..... but it did work withing bringing cold air into the intake... so what it looked like under the hood made no difference to me... the idea was actually originally brought up when Philip used some PVC for his intake on his supercharger, but it kept melting due to the under hood temperatures.

Guest RynoDyno312

IMO the factory box isnt bad. Take off the foam thing near the headlight (mine was folded over onto itself and obstructing airflow) and it's just a plastic pipe going from behind the headlight into the airbox. A drop-in K/N would probably give you just as much benefit.

That being said you could probably rig up a cone filter on an aluminum j-bend in 5 minutes and either adapt it using the stock bellows or a silicone coupler.

Guest CL_Reatta

only problem with the factory airbox is that it cones in toward the end... which make little sense... should be coning out

IMO the factory box isnt bad. Take off the foam thing near the headlight

I just changed my stock air box (thanks Finn) but I would like to get rid of it and go with a K&N cone mod. The stock box is not a great design having to remove the crossbar to swap filters. Mine didnt have a foam thing guess it got lost before I got the car!

Any decent size cone style filter has the advantage of greater surface area which is lacking with the stock airbox flat filter. The air inlet to the factory airbox is much better in operation than appearances would suggest. The foam inlet cone is about the most efficient inlet shape there is. The diagram below illustrates the coefficint. The small size is adequate for the air flow needs of the engine and removing the inlet funnel will actually hurt airflow. I have verified that it is true on my flowbench. The tested airflow with the inlet tube and foam funnel in place is almost exactly equal to the airbox flow with just the open hole in the side of the box, but you lose the cold air inlet effect, at least partially. The stock inlet is also in a decent high pressure location.Orifice_Profiles.JPG

I do run a large K&N cone, in a fenderwell installation, dictated by the turbo installation, but the location is not optimum. A cone filter, in the approximate location of the stock airbox, semi-sealed in an enclosure to pull air from the stock location works very well.

• 1 month later...
Guest RynoDyno312
Looked into this a long time ago. limiting factor on the "C" is the throttle body/ded cam and not the filter size. "L" is much better.

Can you elaborate on this? Is something like swapping a TPI manifold from an l27 (i think?) worth it? Is there any more aggressive cam from another 3800 that fits in the ln3?

Can you elaborate on this? Is something like swapping a TPI manifold from an l27 (i think?) worth it? Is there any more aggressive cam from another 3800 that fits in the ln3?

If you are going through all that, just go to a SC engine. To make a larger cam and everything else worth your while you have to reprogram the ECM to make use of them. Pluss for about the same cost you can get a complete SC engine.

Or you can go to a 4.9 caddy V8. This will be my next project, if I can find a cheap Reatta to do it in.

Here is what Sheldon and I did, cleaner looking and functional. A definite must over the stock airbox, looks cleaner too. I will let Sheldon chime in later to describe what he did, its of his brainpower, I just clean it and pay for it haha. Hopefully looking at an L67 swap this winter though into the 88. Here are the pics.

DSCN0581.jpg

DSCN0582.jpg