Found this in my stuff...

keiser31

Found this in my stuff and I remember when I was 19, my dad and I went to the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village for the Diamond Jubilee. I got this at that time.

post-37352-143138090654_thumb.jpg

How was 1971 the Diamond Jubilee when 1978 is when the 75th anniversary was, and the Mark V and T-bird Diamond Jubilee Editions were made? And 2003 was the Centennial?

Despite what many would have you believe, the world did not begin in 1903.

Despite what many would have you believe, the world did not begin in 1903.

Absolutely no reason to be nasty. He said he got it at the Henry Ford Museum for the Diamond Jubilee. That would lead people to believe it had something to do with Ford. I suppose it is possible, but I am unaware of any other company that produced Diamond Jubilee Editions. Not everyone was old enough to attend auto shows in 1971.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

They put out a plate for the 50th Anniversary as well, that was 1946. Frank Duryea had restored the Duryea the year before for the 50th annivarsary of the Chicago Herald run which he won. He also won the very first London to Brighton Run. The car is now part of the Henry Ford collection.

keiser31,

Since it is connected with Henry Ford Village, don't you think it refers to a Ford event rather than a Duryea event? Duryeas go back before 1896...but June 4th,1896 was when Henry finished his Quadricycle.

I remember only one car from the first car show I ever went to, about 1960, and it was an 1895 Duryea. My father took me to an antique car show at Knott's Berry Farm in California. I believe the Duryea belonged to the actor Ephram Zimbalist, Jr.

I could be wrong about it being a Ford commemorative -- but I don't think the Duryea or Stevens-Duryea companies were around to commemorate anything in 1971.:)

My father was part of that Diamond Jubilee, it was NOT just for Ford, it was for the automobile in general

I think I have one of those somewhere as well

As noted above, they had the 50th Anniversary as well, 25 years before that

Not aware of them doing anything for the 100th Anniversary ...

My father was part of that Diamond Jubilee, it was NOT just for Ford, it was for the automobile in general

I think I have one of those somewhere as well

As noted above, they had the 50th Anniversary as well, 25 years before that

Not aware of them doing anything for the 100th Anniversary ...

I agree...it says "Automotive Diamond Jubilee" not Ford. It just so happened that the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village venue was the most appropriate place to celebrate at the time.

post-37352-143138090736_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138090737_thumb.jpg

Gee....I was merely sharing a little bit of personal memorabilia, and not trying to start any debate. Sorry.

Don't let them get you down, we know the Americam Automotive industry started with those 13 Duryeas in 1896. I'll post that plate they had for the 50th Anniversary as soon as I find it. :)

All this hostility about 1896 or 1903 for Ford, but didn't Henry Ford build his "Quadracycle" in 1896?, making 1971 the Diamond Anniversary. That could explain why it was held at the Henry Ford Museum.

If you mention Henry Ford Museum and Diamond Jubilee to anyone that owns or is interested in Lincolns, I doubt any of them are going to think Duryea. The same as if you start talking about your Hornet to a Hudson owner, they are not going to think AMC. Since the Diamond Jubilee Editions from Ford were in 1978, and I attended the Centennial in 2003, I simply asked about it. It seemed odd that 1896 was when Henry built his quadricycle and they celebrated a DJ in 1971, and then did it again in 1978. There was absolutely no need for the nasty comment about the world did not begin with Ford in 1903. I would have been satisfied with the original Duryea explantion. It is unfortunate that after all the recent talk about posts being pulled, that some people still cannot be civil.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Absolutely no reason to be nasty. He said he got it at the Henry Ford Museum for the Diamond Jubilee. That would lead people to believe it had something to do with Ford. I suppose it is possible, but I am unaware of any other company that produced Diamond Jubilee Editions. Not everyone was old enough to attend auto shows in 1971.

I wasn't trying to be nasty at all. I'm sorry if you took my statement that way.

The Henry Ford Museum is not a Ford museum, but an automotive museum. There are no markings on the plate that indicate Ford at all.

I find that the common belief among people who don't know, is that Henry Ford invented the automobile.

BTW, I wasn't old enough to attend anything in 1971. I was born in 1974.

Edited by Steve Braverman (see edit history)

Ok

After Duryea was mentioned, I looked at the plate again. It appears that the car on the plate is pretty much identical to the AACA Duryea logo. And it does say automotive not Ford DJ. Apparently the first Duryea was built in 1895, but they were first sold in 1896. The same as the Ford DJ was for 1903 not 1896 when Ford built his Quadricycle. So I do think it was for Duryea or more generically the automobile in general.

I am aware that the Henry Ford is not part of Fomoco and is a museum for all kinds of things, not just Fords or even automobiles. But I do not know of any Ford specific museum in the midwest, unlike the Packard and Studebaker museums. So if you want to see Ford history or buy Ford memorabilia, you go to the Henry Ford. I've been there about 6 times.

OK class one last time the FIRST PROCUCTION automobiles in the USA were manufactured in 1896 by the Duryea Company. Are dogs allowed in the Henry Ford Museum?
I imagine "seeing eye dogs" or "service dogs" are the only dogs allowed into the museum.