Use of monograms in the mid 30's?

Guest 34 Pierce Guy

Guest 34 Pierce Guy

One of my '34 Pierce's (the one which still possesses its doors) has the remains of a monogram on the rear door. While being the more expensive variant with dual side mounts and an all black exterior, it is one of the two lowest models for 1934. But due to the fact that it is in fact the more expensive model of the two lower models offered, with sidemounts and happens to be painted black with a monogram on the rear door(s) (only one side survived the weather)...could this car have been someone's 'baby limousine'?

I have seen monograms on larger cars, frequently limousines...but generally don't see many, if any, on cars driven by the actual owner. Which brings me to my question of; when and how were monograms most frequently used during the 30's. Would it have been common for rear doors to carry a monogram if the car in question was driven by the owner? Or was it something that was far more frequent with limousines?

In the 1920s and 1930s there were available "owner" applied monograms. I had a box of them recently that I gave to my daughter. They actually said "Automobile Monograms" and were all about personalizing your car with your own initials. There were little dividers in the box for many styles and sizes of gold leaf style letters that told you how and where on your vehicle to apply them. There were Olde English letters and block letters and showed a drawing of a 1920s car on the front of the box. They were basically to let the average driver dress up their car like a limo or fancier car.

I had a 20 Reo touring that had the most accessories I have ever seen, incl Hayes wire wheels and a fancy all weather enclosed roof/doors.

That car had the monograms on both sides on the panel between the front and rear doors. I doubt that most cars with monograms were chaffeur driven. Just a little personalization IMO.

Monograms on cars and shirts say to the world that "I'm proud of being me and what I have" Kind of identification of pride like the big letter on your chimney, mailbox or address label. There is no rule that you had to have

a giant car to be proud of it.

Guest 34 Pierce Guy

I appreciate all the helpful responses. I didn't realize there was such a market for aftermarket monograms in the 20's and 30's. The reason I thought mine might have been more of a dealer or factory option was that the paint is mostly non existent around the monogram, which makes me think that the monogram was painted on and helped to preserve the paint beneath to a degree. The door is buried behind another project right now, but I will have to take a picture and post it when I can reach the doors safely.

I have a 1936 Packard 12 convertible with the largest monograms that I have ever seen, they are delicate, but still about 4 inches across by 2 inches high, silver and made by a high end jeweler. It was always owner driven.
We'd love to see a photo of those monograms.

Guest 34 Pierce Guy
We'd love to see a photo of those monograms.

I second that, it would be interesting to see such a monogram.

In the 40s it was something of a fad among suburbanites in the northeast, to drive a freshly varnished woodie station wagon with a cute name painted on the doors like "Broken Back Acres".

It was also the in thing about the same time for the yachting set to put their monogram on the door of the car in miniature yachting flags.