Transmission Question

Guest 1926pack

Guest 1926pack

I posted on this last year, got some good suggestions, but I am still having problems. Here we go...

I have a 1926 Packard with the 6 cylinder engine. In the past, whenever the engine was warm it always grinded when I shifted gears. I know about double clutching but it didn't make a difference. When the car was cold everything was fine. When warm, grinding every time.

Some posters here suggested that the transmission fluid might have been too thin and suggested I try "steamer oil". I did that and it helped a bit.

Now, even when the car is warm and I shift into 3d, no grinding. It would grind in the past. But in the lower gears, still grinding. And what's wierd is that it grinds when the car is stopped. Like, I'm stopped at a traffic light, the light changes, I clutch, try to put in gear (usually 2nd but it also happens in 1st) and GRIND! No matter what I do I get the grinding. I try to nudge it into gear, GRIND! I try to just ram it into gear, GRIND! But, once she's rolling, I double clutch her into 3d, no problem.

If I'm stopped and I put it into first I get grinding. I double clutch into 2nd, I get grinding. I double clutch into 3, no problem. If I try to start in second, it grinds into 2nd but is fine going into 3d. If the car is at a stop and I put it into 3d, no grinding. But starting in 3d is not the way to go.

Couple of more things. Once its in gear there is no slippage at the clutch. And if the car is stopped and in gear, if I let off of the break but keep the clutch depressed, the car does not start to creep foward. So it seems the clutch is OK.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? The car is in Queens, NY.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Sounds to me like a typical dragging clutch.

If the car is stopped, and you depress the clutch and hold it down for 10 seconds before shifting, and the gears still grind, it's a dragging clutch for sure.

An adjustment might fix it.

If not, the clutch could be rusty from sitting around or contaminated with oil.

Guest 1926pack

West, thanks for the heads up. One problem is that the 34s were synchromesh but the 26s weren't. But thanks again.

Tom, what was your problem and how did you fix it? Please don't tell me you had to rebuild the transmission...

Although I'm not familiar with Packards, it could be the small bearing that supports the primairy axle in the crank. It may be a roller or bronze bearing, both can lead to the mentioned trouble.

The fact that the car doesn't creep says nothing about this item.You may want to jack the car at the rear and try it then.

There must be a dragging/friction problem, the thicker oil indicates that as well, increasing the inner friction of the gear box.

Perhaps you get a deformation in your clutch when the car is warm, what ever

the cause, your primairy axle still turns when you try to shift, that's obvious.

Johan

West, thanks for the heads up. One problem is that the 34s were synchromesh but the 26s weren't. But thanks again.

Tom, what was your problem and how did you fix it? Please don't tell me you had to rebuild the transmission...

I have similar behavior in my transmission, though not the shifting into first. Only from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd on a completely warmed car. And this is particularly odd, given those gears are synchronized.

I still haven't solved the problem. As long as I shift slowly, I tend not to clash to much.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 1926pack

Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry I didn't get back sooner but work got in the way. I hate when that happens...

I checked and the clutch did need adjusting. It did have excessive play and I noticed the car started to move as soon as I let off the clutch. So I adjusted it and I have about an inch of play before I feel pressure when disengaging the clutch (just like I'm supposed to have), the clutch does not engage as soon as I start lifting off it and before I have the clutch fully released I can feel that the clutch is fully engaged. So, no slipping clutch. BUT...

Still grinding. Not as bad but it still grinds every time I shift gears. Even going into gear while at a full stop causes grinding of the gears. And I can feel a gear or something spinning in there somewhere. Even with the clutch fully depressed while at a stop. I should add that I get the same grinding when shifting gears while the car is moving. And yes I'm double clutching.

ARRGGH!

I have similar behavior in my transmission, though not the shifting into first. Only from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd on a completely warmed car. And this is particularly odd, given those gears are synchronized.

I still haven't solved the problem. As long as I shift slowly, I tend not to clash to much.

Tom,

I have a similiar problem mostly into 3rd (It's a 4 speed). I was advised I need a new synchro which I picked up a Maximum Merrit. I however done teh transmission rehab yet which is scheduled for this winter.