Can I Lengthen A Spark Plug?

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

Here's an odd question: I need a long-reach spark plug for my 1913 Metz 4-cylinder engine. This car originally took a Champion 32 plug, an extra-long plug with 1/2" pipe thread. Unfortunately, this plug is a rare one. I bought a set of N.O.S. plugs that come apart, and wonder if I could lengthen the electrode and threaded section to make them "long-reach" plugs. Am I wasting my time?

Phil

SparkPlug.jpg

Guest VeloMan

The Champion 32 plug measures 1-3/16 inches from the end of the threads to the end of the metal of the spark plug. The electrodes stick out up to an additional 1/8 inch. Below is a photo. Is the Autolite 3077 this size?

Phil

32and34.jpg

A competant machine shop could easily make new bottom sections of whatever length you want, but it would be pricy. Another option might be to TIG weld extensions on the bottom of your shorties and machine to dimension. That would be cheaper but there's the possibility of weld failure which might damage the engine. The electrode could most likely also be extended by welding an extension, assuming it's not some exotic material.

Most practical solution is to bite the bullet and buy the proper ones, the assumption is that there are some to buy.......Bob

Guest VeloMan

Yes, Bob, it looks like it could be lengthened. Of course, the proper plug would be best, and I am looking!

I tried Don McKinsey, but he doesn't have the Type 32 plug.

Phil

When I owned 2 Metz cars I was told the same plug was used in one of the two types of Maytag washing machine engines.

I also was given a Champion number that you could special order through a parts store. You needed to order a full box of ten. When they arrived, the box really looked old style from maybe 1950s? I'd bet I still have two of those here someplace, but they look semi modern with cad plating.

Guest VeloMan

Do your plugs resemble the photo I posted, F&J?

I checked the interesting Green Spark Plug web site, Johan, but they have no Champion 32's.

Phil