Design Features of 1930s Cars

I wrote up the info below with the idea of printing out copies to bring to car shows when people bring their 1930s cars. It might answer a lot of questions, and perhaps be mildly entertaining. I post it in the hopes both that some readers will have comments and corrections, and also so that others might see it and use it themselves if they like.

Here it is:

DESIGN FEATURES OF 1930S CARS

HOOD ORNAMENTS

Cars of the 1930s often feature elaborate hood ornaments, such as chrome representations of birds or goddesses. Hood ornaments began as radiator caps, which were exposed so the driver could easily add water and coolant. Manufacturers began to make the radiator caps more artistic to distinguish their cars. They were phased out over time, both because they no longer fit the aerodynamic look of cars and because they were not safe in an accident. Radiator caps moved under the hood.

RUNNING BOARDS

Running boards provided drivers and passengers with a step up from the road before they entered their cars, and a step down when they exited. Running boards were necessary in the 1920s and 1930s when cars were very high off the ground. It was awkward to step up so high into the car and to jump down to much when exiting. In the 1940s, cars were designed to be lower to the ground. Running boards became unnecessary and were phased out.

SIDE-MOUNTED SPARE TIRES

Cars of the 1930s often had spare tires mounted on the side next to the engine. This made sense in the 1930s for two main reasons. First, tire technology was primitive and roads were often rough, meaning that tires often puctured and two spare tires were often needed. Second, cars were often very high off the ground, so vertically-mounted spare tires didn’t get in the way of the driver's visibility. Side-mounted spare tires went out of fashion as cars became lower to the ground, automotive styling focused more on aerodynamics, and tire technology improved.

RUMBLE SEATS

In the 1920s and 1930s, it was common for the space that might be used for the rear trunk in a 2-seat automobile to fold out into an extra row of back seats, known as “rumble seats.” They were known as rumble seats because the rear area of seating for servants in a traditional horse-drawn carriage was known as the "rumble." Rumble seats were a very inexpensive way to add two more seats: All that was required was placing cushions in the trunk space. However, passengers in rumble seats were exposed to the elements; there was no top if it rained. Manufactureers realized that it would be more useful to bring the two small back seats underneath a roof, as two small back seats in a coupe rather than as rumble seats.

LARGE STEERING WHEELS

Steering wheels in the 1930s were oftem much larger than today. The reason is that there was no power steering back then: The larger the wheel, the easier it was to steer the car.

CHROME

1930s cars often have lots of chrome. The technology needed to plate metal with chrome came into widespread use in the late 1920s; at that point, chrome replaced nickel as the plating metal of choice for automotive use. Chrome plating was a new technology at the time, and manufacturers often trief to differentiate their cars from competitiors through the distinctive use of chrome.

Any thoughts or comments? Also, feel free to use this yourself if you like -- no need to credit "1935Packard" unless you feel like it.

Some suggested edits:

RUNNING BOARDS

Running boards provided drivers and passengers with a step up from the road before they entered their cars, and a step down when they exited. Running boards were necessary in the 1920s and 1930s when cars were very high off the ground <span style="color: #FF0000">due to the large diameter tires necessary to maintain road clearance on primitive dirt (sometimes MUD) roads .</span> It was awkward to step up so high into the car and to jump down to much when exiting. In the 1940s, <span style="color: #FF0000">as a high percentage of roads were paved wheel/tire diameters decreased and </span> cars were designed to be lower to the ground. Running boards became unnecessary and were phased out.

LARGE STEERING WHEELS

Steering wheels in the 1930s were often much larger than today. The reason is that there was no power steering back then: <span style="color: #FF0000">the larger diameter steering wheel offered more leverage, making it easier to steer the car. </span>

Just a suggestion. I worked in two museums and wrote information labels for cars, I often only had 100 words maximum to say all that need be said. You can't assume your audience knows that things like power steering and brakes always existed, most people don't have a clue, and are usually interested and engaged when gently informed.

The business of wheel and tire diameter/width and its changes from the brass to late 30s eras was always fodder for interesting conversation.

I remember well a night time party held at the one museum I worked at where several young (20s) suits from a certain company in Dearborn MI were standing, cocktails in hand, in front of the 8 brass cars on display. One pointed to the large, slender tires on a big brass era car and said "look at that, that is just against everything we know today about wheel and tire technology, look at how tall the tire is, look at the narrow width" I was there, as a "do not touch" presence and guide. When he finished saying that I replied, "yes it is. And if they had paved roads back than they might have designed them differently, but you see, the roads were nothing but mud for part of the year, and this height and profile would get you through that".

There were no further comments.

Thanks, John. Great suggestions. Any good explanations for the switch from wire wheels to solid wheels?

Yes, cost of manufacture, pure and simple. The use of wire wheels was merely habit by the 1920s, another leftover from the bicycle business many auto maker (Dodge, Jeffery/Nash, et al) came from, and the vendors from the bicycle trade were enlisted to supply the growing auto industry. Yet there were holdouts who liked the look of wire wheels, much like those who insist on having vinyl tops and faux convertible tops on today's cars, even though they clash terribly with the roof line design and "don't go". The factory doesn't even offer vinyl roofs, but dealers have them installed aftermarket, because there is money to be made.

The same was true of artillery wheels--they were made into the mid 1930s because customers wanted them, not because they were more efficient to make or were necessarily the best kind of wheel.

If you are concentrating on the 1930s there are other aspects you may wish to touch on, this was an era of rapid technological advance despite the horrid financial crisis.

Just a few things:

Radios: this is the era that saw the factory-installed radio, at a reasonable cost.

Suspension: Independent front suspension (dual wishbone) came into being starting with (I think) the 1934 LaSalle, others my verify, or maybe we'll have to crack a book or do a selective google search (I don't have the time right now!)

Transmissions: The decade started out with crash boxes, synchronizers appeared, again I believe 1930 LaSalle was first (Mass produced, etc) this is stuff I read 27 years ago and I don't trust my memory when committing to print anymore. Then at the end of the decade research was wrapping up on the first automatic transmissions, and some semi-automatics were marketed.

You probably don't want to make this thing a book; so long that no one will want to read it.

question: this show or shows--is it a "just show up and have fun" kind of thing or is it organized so that you know what is going to be there in advance? My reason for asking is that if it is to be the latter you could write short, informational labels for each car and weave these points in, as some cars there will be great examples of these points.

Guest bkazmer

In fall 1939 (1940 model year), air conditioning

Laminated safety glass in volume production cars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, cost of manufacture, pure and simple. The use of wire wheels was merely habit by the 1920s, another leftover from the bicycle business many auto maker (Dodge, Jeffery/Nash, et al) came from, and the vendors from the bicycle trade were enlisted to supply the growing auto industry. Yet there were holdouts who liked the look of wire wheels, much like those who insist on having vinyl tops and faux convertible tops on today's cars, even though they clash terribly with the roof line design and "don't go". The factory doesn't even offer vinyl roofs, but dealers have them installed aftermarket, because there is money to be made.

The same was true of artillery wheels--they were made into the mid 1930s because customers wanted them, not because they were more efficient to make or were necessarily the best kind of wheel. </div></div>

John

There is more to wire wheels than habit and bling. Wire wheels are stronger than their steel counterparts, or at least they were. At one time I assumed that the steel wheels were stronger and asked a famous race car driver why (in the 1940s, '50s and '60s) they choose to use wire wheels when racing rather than the steel. The reply was that the wire wheels withstood the rigors of racing much better.

Ehhh............yeah, but we're mainly talking production here, where the stresses and demands were far lower. The all-steel wheels of the mid to late 30s have many attachment points, with the steel formed into a U channel at each point, perhaps that was the best way to gain the strength at that time, farmore complicated than the design we saw emerge in the 50s that continues to this day. I am not aware of stamped steel disc wheels from the 20s having structural problems, they are rare to see today, and they keep my good friend Don Sommer busy making what replaces them (wire wheels) but I am not aware that they were a problem, they just aren't blingy enough. Once in a while you see a car at a show with the big discs and it really stands out.

Like every other part of a car, the wire wheels were very labor intensive, and the industry was learning what really needed time and money and what could be simplified and made less expensively.

As owner of a 1932 Buick, I am aware that this was the first year that Buick, and possibly other cars featured a sloped windshield (to a wopping 10%). I am not sure what prevented this in larger production vehicles earlier and there were many cars before that. It probably had something to do with production costs for forming the post and roof top. You might also mention the use of full metal roofs also in the '30s as tooling design allowed better metal stamping and the cost of wood/fabric cover vs. metal.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jscheib</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As owner of a 1932 Buick, I am aware that this was the first year that Buick, and possibly other cars featured a sloped windshield (to a wopping 10%). I am not sure what prevented this in larger production vehicles earlier and there were many cars before that. It probably had something to do with production costs for forming the post and roof top. You might also mention the use of full metal roofs also in the '30s as tooling design allowed better metal stamping and the cost of wood/fabric cover vs. metal.

John </div></div>

John--congrats on owning a '32 Buick, I don't know of a more attractive car (that didn't come from East Grand Boulevard)

In addition to the tooling design the steel itself advanced to the point where deep draws could be made and the steel didn't crack in the radiused portions.

Couple more things in the 30,s

Cars went to downdraft carburators and fuel pumps in the early 30's and the headlights went into the fenders later on.

Trunks were built into the body

Other important considerations:

The Chrysler Airflow was the first car to be developed using a wind tunnel. In 1930 even racing cars weren't built with consideration for airflow. By the end of the 1930s aerodynamics became an integral part of almost all car production.

Beginning with the Chrysler Airflow cars also began to mount the rear seats ahead of the rear axle, not only ushering in the era of passenger comfort but also allowing for a dramatic lowering of cars' profiles to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wire wheels are stronger than their steel counterparts, or at least they were. At one time I assumed that the steel wheels were stronger and asked a famous race car driver why (in the 1940s, '50s and '60s) they choose to use wire wheels when racing rather than the steel. The reply was that the wire wheels withstood the rigors of racing much better.</div></div>

I don't think it was a durability/toughness issue that kept wire wheels in racing (and sports cars) for all those extra years. They were tough yes, but tough <span style="font-style: italic">for their weight</span>. They were eventually replaced by magnesium and magnesium alloy wheels (for the most part), which are hardly tougher than steel wheels. Wire wheels offer substantial unsprung weight savings over steel wheels, making for better handling.

They also "give" in in turns (which might be what the driver you talked to meant by "withstood the rigors"). In the era before radial tires this gave them a substantial advantage in maintaining traction during hard cornering. Radials pretty much ended any advantage wires had in this respect, however, and when even lighter alloy wheels came along wires lost their place in competitive driving.

Thanks, all. My own purpose is just to bring to local shows to entertain visitors: My interest is just in explaining the outside design elements that visitors see and often talk about when they see an old car.