Very early '63 Riv (FB 286)

Jim Cannon

Here is a link to a car for sale on eBay in Las Vegas. What caught my eye was the very early Fisher Body number on the data plate, FB 286. This is now the earliest job I have in my database, with a date stamp (if I can read it right) of 09A, or first week of September.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320364492662&viewitem=

Early '63 details you see here:

- smooth dash

- 120 mph speedo

- no dimple in the vacuum storage can for the brakes

This is a well optioned car, with power windows and vents, power seat, A/C.

If anyone has a '63 Riv with an earlier FB number, please contact me!

Jim,

That's an awesome catch on your part. AND - It's nice to know that this car appears to be a survivor, except for that radiator hose AND the color combination is interesting AND (finally) that it is 'loaded'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1965rivgs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also,the windshield interior pillar molding appears to be painted and not chromed. Jim, do the chromed pillar moldings and the ribbed dash seem to change simultaneously in your research?

Tom Mooney </div></div>

Tom-

It appears that the chrome trim came later than the ribbed dash, but to honest with you, I have not been making a note of that with specific car data plates. It would be hard to go back now and capture that.

As Tim notes above, he had a fairly early car with the chrome trim... confounds me. You are never really sure about who might have changed what at some time in the past, unless you really know the providence of the vehicle.

Several issues back in the Riview Ray printed a dealer sales bulletin I found in the ROA library which describes interior upgrades. The bulletin specifically mentioned the chrome pillar moldings and the change in dash treatment. However unlike the dash treatment which is referred to as "formerly painted" the chrome pillar moldings are simply mentioned with no reference to an actual change. Mention of those two items in the same bulletin prompted my question about a simultaneous change. It is possible to interpret the bulletin as meaning the pillar moldings were always chromed but why mention them along with the dash change in a bulletin referencing interior changes? The car on Ebay certainly looks like the moldings are painted.

Tom Mooney