Speaker problems

Guest re-reatta

Guest re-reatta

The drivers door speaker in my '90 coupe is cracking and weak. The left rear speaker is not working at all. Both worked a little better before, but I got water on the drivers floor, mainly under the seat area, and heard a lot of cracking and hissing coming from what seemed to be the door speaker area, and now they are as described above. The mirror switch also doesn't work anymore. Don't know if this is related or not. Is there wiring under the carpet that may have been affected by the water? I also recently put a Pioneer radio in it, and the problem stayed the same. I guess that rules out the factory radio, capacitors. Anybody have any ideas???

Thanks,

Kevin

Guest re-reatta

Yes, original speakers. It also did it with the factory radio. Any chance the water on the drivers floor shorted something out? Any suggestions for new speakers if that's what I need?

I would suggest these for your set up with out a seperate amp.

front

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13541

rear

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17727

This will provide great sound with the power provided by the deck. Also grab some dinomat or something close. It will help with the sound quality.

Guest re-reatta

Do the '90 coupes have an amp or a connectioon for speakers that could have been damaged by water on the driver's floor area?

• 1 month later...
Guest Richard D

Won't the 4 ohm speaker cause the factory stereo to overheat or fail? They were designed for 10 ohm speakers and I have seen warning labels on them to never go below 8 ohms per channel.

I ran 4 ohms in my '89 for years with no issues whatsoever.

Presently have a set of 2 ohm Infinity Kappas ready to go in my '88 when I finally get around to it. The documentation on the speakers states that I can expect increased maximum volume from 'em. We'll see.