Importing from Canada

Guest Hugh32

Guest Hugh32

I'm trying to bring a 1930 Dodge 8 cyl sedan from Winnipeg to the US. Have any of you had experience in this area? I have been searching the US Customs site without much luck.

I have always heard that old cars and parts are duty free from Canada, but that was years and years ago. I don't know for sure if it is still that way, but I will inquire to a friend who lives near Canada. He may know.

Hugh32,

In the header bar at the top click on "Search". Keyword "Canada".

This topic was discussed many times over the years. You will find some good dialogue and tips.

Keep going back through pages. I checked out page 2 then 3 and Canada importing comes up quite often as you go back in time. (Unfortunately Importing from Europe threads show up too however topics on "Canada" are easily seen.)

Regards,

Peter J. Heizmann

Guest Hugh32

Keiser31,

Thank you. After searching the US and Canadian Customs Depts and getting nowhere, I emailed Pacific Customs Brokers and in less than 2 minutes a nice lady phoned, asked a few questions and said importing a 1930 Dodge is just like buying a pair of shoes and bringing them into the US. Of course you need a clear title and bill of sale. So, it won't be long before I'm the proud owner of a DC 8 4 dr sedan.

Going to the BCA National in Michigan from Upstate New York last year, I took the route though Canada. On the way there, the border guard was not a problem. One the way home, comming out of Canada, The Border guard gave me the third degree about my 1915 Buick on the trailer. He even made me get out and get the registration to prove that it was really mine. So I guess it is very important that you have all the paper work in order. I found it is easier to get in and out with a Pass Port. cool.gif Dandy Dave!

Just for interest, or if you are looking to import a vehicle from Australia, back in 2006 the US and Australian Governments finalised a free trade agreement which by reciprocal arrangements sees preferential tariffs between the 2 countries.

In most instances with motor vehicles/motor cycles and vehicle parts there is no duty either way.

Worth keeping in mind and has dramatically reduced costs of importing from the US to Australia, all we have to do now is strengthen the Aussie $ against yours ( currently the AUS$ is around US$0.68 ).

Of course at the moment you get real good conversion rates if buying in Aussie $'s