Overdrive stumble/backfire

ESTAVER

Having increasing problem with stumble/backfire when accelerating in O/D. All other gears have excellent throttle response throughout all speed ranges. This started as stumble on light excell. uphill and has progressed to heavy stumble and serious backfire at accell. at any speed/grade in O/D. Tranny downshifts fine when called for, but now I don't dare punch it in O/D for fear of bolwing the air filter box apart (again) Normal cruise in O/D is smooth. Have 190K on engine with original injectors, but I would think injectors would show at other gear curves. The only other performance problem is a little idle hiccup now and then. I have not pulled the O2 sensor yet, but the readouts on diagnosics display appear to be in the indicated range. I've checked most of the Shop Manual looks, but I'm hoping to save time in the troubleshooting process by hearing y'alls suggestions. Thanks as always...Drew in Charleston,SC

I know it sounds simplistic but try new spark plugs.

See if it stumbles/backfires when the engine is relatively cold, before the temp reaches 140 degrees. That is when the system goes into closed loop.

My first Reatta had a similar problem and after much checking I finally replaced the plugs and everything was fine. The plugs "looked" perfect but wouldn't work when the car went into closed loop. I put the old Reatta plugs in a Corsica and it ran fine since it was not as computer controlled as the Reatta.

Guest crazytrain2

While you're at it check the plug wires (how old are they?)and the mass airflow sensor (tap on it lightly w/engine running *NOT on the flat plastic surface area though*).

Secondary ignition will act exactly that way (stumble at moderate load/low rpm). It also will rarely set any codes. Does it smooth out if it downshifts ?

If so my experience is above 45 mph (sounds like you), check the coilpack for proper resistances (see FSM)first - below 45 mph replace the plug wires/plugs.

My similar problem ended up being wires, but more importantly NEW wires. I'm guessing some of them have been on the shelves so long that there may have been moisture issues. The wires tested bad, were replaced, and the stumbling was gone.

Again, a freeby as the wires had been sold to me by a Buick Dealer, and were tested and replaced by another one.

Incidentally the stumble only showed up as it went into overdrive, as yours.

Tom T.

• 9 months later...

Again, thanks to all forum members for your advice on this problem.

I looked at all the suggested sources of this stumble but found no problems. Recently I decided to go with the Delco coil and module upgrade the Padgett the Man has created as an instructional. (great) In that piece mention was made about looking at using .045 gap on the plugs instead of the factory .060 setting.

Low and behold... stumble is now history. Throttle response is again immediate and clean in Overdrive, on uphill or the flat.

I had prepared to pull out my last two good hairs trying to fix this problem. Now I can do that comb over as planned.

Thanks to Padgett for taking the time to create his many helpful postings and tips.

Drew in Charleston, SC

Unfortunately this means that you have a weak ignition system and the fix may be temporary. Closing the gap reduces the load on the ignition system. The level of misfire you mentioned is excessive even for a Magnavox. (original is not that bad a system, just the Delco is better, a bolt on, and a good used one is less expensive than just a module or coilpack for a Magnavox).

Thought I'd also mention that after the .045 plug gap cleared the problem, I didn't change my coil and module to the Delco.

I just saw a note from Padgett that this may be a temp. fix.

If I can round up a Delco package at my local yard, I think I'll go ahead and make the change just to ensure peak performance.

I believe my plugs had to be set at .045 to run decently, that was after the Padgett upgrade with the delco coils. Maybe the one I installed is weak. I checked resistances and they were uniform across the three coils. I have an extra set in the trunk, perhaps, when it gets warmer, a LOT warmer, I'll switch them and go back to .060 gap. The other item in this mix is the inferior plug wires available. They don't seem to last a year. My supplier gives me new ones, but I would sure like to find a good brand that would last.