Help Identify an early auto from glass negative, please?

idigghx

This automobile is on a slide in my collection of 19th and early 20th Century ambrotypes. Due to mold, the slide was destroyed, however.. I was careful to capture it with several methods. The top photo is the slide itself, the bottom is the digitally enhanced version. I have been trying to find out the year, make and model for some time, and have had no luck. I was adding some pics to my Flickr account, when I came across your website and forum. I'd greatly appreciate any help.. and would gladly provide developed slides to anyone who could identify it. I'm seeking the info out of interest, to record a better history of my collection, not out of commercial gain. In my eyes, it's only value, is the history that can be learned from it.

At first, I thought it was a two seater Stanley Steam type auto, but I really have no idea how to identify old vehicles.

Car1.jpg

post-60284-143138041035_thumb.jpg

Guest austincar6

I look at it a first and was thing maxwell to, but the hood dose not look right.

I thing is something kind of a bigger car like a Great Smith.

Any other ideas?

I have used the original plate to scale the photo to correct proportions. Hope it helps. From recent post on 'steamer', I was advised White had a rounded front edge to the rad. This is quite sharp so more like a Maxwell. Maxwell however seem to have had a flat bar across the rad, which this has not. Sorry to confuse.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143138041063_thumb.jpg

The actual pivot hangers on the right photo appear to have an after market cover presumably to protect the pivots from dirt. The whole front arrangement seems different on a Thompson Flyer as per detail below.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Ps. Idigghx, hope you don’t mind if I use your photo on our website.

post-58492-143138041376_thumb.jpg

Hi Idigghx,

Thanks you agreement to allowing me to use your photo on the SVVS website. There is no need for hard copy as all our records are digital. Our Help Page provides free vehicle identification service world wide and includes some very unusual cars. We have not had an early Mitchell so it will be useful to our visitors to see one if they are looking for one. We have carried out some 500 identifications in the last few years. They have tended to be mainly European but Americans cars are coming to the fore, where our friends at AACA are providing us with invaluable assistance.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

Mitchell does seem to be a closer fit. There is one on displaly at the AACA Library, perhaps we can get some pics of it posted here for comparison.

Terry

My thought, 1906 Mitchell due to length of hood, obvious radiator shape (like Maxwell and many others 1904-10) radiator emblem, headlights, and just about everything except the firewall, which is straight up/down. Mitchel had some curvature?? Could it be it was modified? Those with straight up/down firewall and that shape radiator were: Thomas ( but has flared fenders)& White G-A 1910 ( but had different lights and curved front fenders)... this is a tough one.

Tom Allan